PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sceenshot as JPEG?

kahumba
January 23rd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Hi,
Is it possible to change the default screen shot app from Ubuntu to produce JPEG images instead of PNG?
The problem: it produces too large PNG images, close to 1MB (ridiculous!), when I convert it to JPEG I get an image of about 90KB (that's huge! saving 10x space, it also opens faster!) with no visible difference from the PNG one.

so, is it possible?

sportfreak2020
January 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
well while you save the screenshot and it suggests you to just enter a name with a .PNG extension, change it to a .jpeg extension..

and voila...you have an .jpeg extension image file

i have noticed that it saves a larger file for the jpeg as well i guess you need to look into more in that area..

will explore more on that one..

howefield
January 23rd, 2010, 11:56 PM
A workaround would be to use the convert command after taking you png screenshot, (part of the imagemagick suite).

In a terminal type

convert nameoffile.png nameoffile.jpg

Quick and easy.

chewearn
January 24th, 2010, 12:10 AM
well while you save the screenshot and it suggests you to just enter a name with a .PNG extension, change it to a .jpeg extension..

and voila...you have an .jpeg extension image file

i have noticed that it saves a larger file for the jpeg as well i guess you need to look into more in that area..

will explore more on that one..

You could change ".png" to ".jpg" but it will still spit out a png file. Generally, the extension is irrelevant w.r.t. file type in Linux.

sportfreak2020
January 24th, 2010, 12:20 AM
hmm dats strange coz i just did a screenshot on my ubuntu 9.10 machine.i did the thing where i change the .png to .jpg and it did save a file..

and now after i right click that image file namely "screenshot.jpg"

and select properties it gives me

Type: JPEG image (image/jpeg)

does it still mean ita .png file???:confused:

kahumba
January 24th, 2010, 12:24 AM
No, changing the extension is not even a solution cause it still is a PNG image with a JPEG extension.
Looks like I have to replace the application itself.
Unfortunately this cant be filed under "paper cuts" cause it's not a one liner fix.

howefield
January 24th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Just trying out another way, using the command line and the imagemagick suite of apps.

From a terminal type

import screenshot.jpg

and then click and drag your left mouse button over the area you want for the screenshot.

You'll find the jpg in your home folder.

stinkeye
January 24th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Just install shutter (http://shutter-project.org/downloads/) and change the save format in preferences.

phillychease
January 24th, 2010, 02:50 AM
or put it GIMP and save as jpeg

tomdkat
January 24th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Or, take the screenshot WITH GIMP. I do that frequently.

Peace...

chewearn
January 24th, 2010, 07:43 AM
hmm dats strange coz i just did a screenshot on my ubuntu 9.10 machine.i did the thing where i change the .png to .jpg and it did save a file..

and now after i right click that image file namely "screenshot.jpg"

and select properties it gives me

Type: JPEG image (image/jpeg)

does it still mean ita .png file???:confused:

Mmm. That seems to be a Nautilus bug. Under Properties > Basic tab, the "Type" mentioned there followed the file extension. But Properties > Image tab gave the actual file type detected by mime magic.

Ginsu543
January 24th, 2010, 07:19 PM
You can also use Scrot, which is a command-line program available in the repositories to take screenshots. You select whether you want the screenshot to be taken as a jpg or png format by simply changing the extension in the name. For example, "scrot -d 5 -c image.jpg" will take the screenshot with a five second delay (with a countdown) and save it in jpg format with the name "image.jpg." On the other hand, "scrot -d t -c image.png" will do the same but save it in png format.