PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adobe-FlashPlugin smoother than FlashPlugin-NonFree in Jaunty?

Virus666
January 23rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Hi all,

Yesterday, I was seeking for some Flash Player tweaks for Jaunty. In Adobe's web site I found and installed "APT for Ubuntu 9.04+." That move installed adobe-flashplugin to the system. After I removed flashplugin-nonfree and flashplugin-installer, Interestingly flash videos begin to player smoother; especially in http://www.animefreak.tv/ . Is it just a coincidence or an advantage of "APT for Ubuntu 9.04+"; because it did not exist in Adobe's website one month ago, just ".deb for Ubuntu 8.04+" was available for download.

Internet browser: Firefox 3.0.17
adobe-flashplugin version: 10.0.42.34-2jaunty1
flashplugin-nonfree version: 10.0.42.34ubuntu0.9.04.1 (not installed anymore)

lovinglinux
January 24th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I personally never saw any difference. Some people say the adobe one is better.

Virus666
February 1st, 2010, 05:27 AM
Thanks for reply. But it seems that in some websites it's beneficial to use Flashblock extension of Firefox. Because, bunch of flash animation in same page just stucks the present video... Thanks again...

efflandt
February 2nd, 2010, 03:55 AM
I always thought that flashplugin-nonfree was a transitional version (an older version disguised as a newer version in case you had problems with the newer version), whereas, flashplugin-installer alone (without the nonfree package) was the most recent released Adobe flash version.

If the flashplugin-nonfree package is still using flash 9, that might explain it tripping on sites that require flash 10. Have you tried flashplugin-installer without installing flashplugin-nonfree?

lovinglinux
February 2nd, 2010, 04:37 AM
I always thought that flashplugin-nonfree was a transitional version (an older version disguised as a newer version in case you had problems with the newer version), whereas, flashplugin-installer alone (without the nonfree package) was the most recent released Adobe flash version.

If the flashplugin-nonfree package is still using flash 9, that might explain it tripping on sites that require flash 10. Have you tried flashplugin-installer without installing flashplugin-nonfree?

flashplugin-nonfree is a transitional package that just depends on flashplugin-installer, so it doesn't matter if you install one or the other. When you install flashplugin-nonfree it automatically installs flashplugin-installer, which in fact downloads the most recent version of libflashplayer.so from Adobe.
BTW, it's not using flash 9. I think the only difference was that the adobe-flashplugin contained the libflashplayer.so file, while the other is a downloader.