PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Want to install, want to grab files from other partition.

Captain Smiley Pants
January 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
So hey, I am one of those crazy people who actually like Vista. BUT, I'm not feeling like keeping it around so much, want to switch to Ubuntu on my Eee 1005HA.

It's going to be a USB install, nothing too special, I was actually in the process of installing a minute ago until I realized... I had a lot of stuff on my hard drive already. Oops.

Well, I've got to ask... I can mount my other partition just fine and browse files and stuff. I'm wondering - can I just grab my files, store them on the Live session, let Ubuntu install completely over the hard drive, and then move my stuff back onto the Ubuntu install? That should be simple enough, right?

Other questions I have, but are irrelevant to the thread and you don't need to read them unless you want to:

- I use Nero HomeMedia as a media server, and I've heard there is some other free program called PS3 media server or something that does the same thing and can handle my 360. Does my memory serve me right or am I completely off?

- Would anyone happen to know if there are any certain programs or software or drivers I need to install specific to my netbook? I've heard there is a eee package somewhere... Not exactly sure where though.

- In the Live session, I noticed most of my hot keys worked but didn't test them all. Any other software for that?

raymondh
January 24th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Can I just grab my files, store them on the Live session, let Ubuntu install completely over the hard drive, and then move my stuff back onto the Ubuntu install?

Why not just move/copy/back-up those files before going live session?

- Would anyone happen to know if there are any certain programs or software or drivers I need to install specific to my netbook? I've heard there is a eee package somewhere... Not exactly sure where though.

Eee PC? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC

Raymond

Captain Smiley Pants
January 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Well, here's the thing, it's at least 20~ GB of data I want to back up and I don't have the means to do so, like the highest card I have goes to about 8 GB of storage. Had an idea though, could I make a new partition in Windows, throw all my junk onto it, install Ubuntu and not erase that partition, put all my stuff under /home, then partition all my space back for Ubuntu? Does that even sound right?

raymondh
January 24th, 2010, 02:02 AM
You able to create a NEW, (separate from windows, NTFS partition? You could do that as a storage partition and store your media there as Ubuntu can read/write to it. Even if you decide not to install Ubuntu, your windows can access it (by assigning a drive letter to that storage partition).

Just remember the 4 partition limit (either 4 primary or 3 primary + 1 extended).

Raymond