PDA

View Full Version : Let's steal some things from Xandros, ok?

MaZiNgA
February 3rd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Hey, I installed Xandros Open Circulation yesterday and I really enjoyed a couple of things:

I really liked the fact that clicking on a .deb or an .rpm file would fire up "Xandros Networks" (something equivalent to Synaptic) to install it! I really look for the day that Synaptic will be able to do the same (and fix dependencies automatically)!:dreams on:

I liked the fact that there were Drive Letters same as winblows so as not to confuse users C: and D:!

I really liked that fancy lilo splash! Let's steal that too (if it's GPL'd ofcourse)! :twisted: (and add Ubuntu's logo to that place...)

Hmm that's it...I didn't like ANYTHING else in this hated/kde-centric/proprietary software! :twisted:

jdong
February 3rd, 2005, 02:59 PM
Hmm, KPackage (KDE's APT/multi-package GUI) already has the ability to install single RPM's / DEB's....

Perhaps Synaptic needs this ability too!

I have to caution, these GUI's are all far from failproof. In some cases, where you need to install 2 or more packages together to meet dependencies (ugh, seemingly circular deps), it's useful to issue a dpkg -i *.deb, though with KPackage you can't do so!

nocturn
February 3rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
I really hate the idea of having driveletters on Linux.
The Linux/Unix filesystem has always been organized a certain way, if you get used to it, it is very intuitive.

I like people converting from Windows, but I really don't think we should start emulating windows to accomodate this.

jdodson
February 3rd, 2005, 05:35 PM
Hey, I installed Xandros Open Circulation yesterday and I really enjoyed a couple of things:

I really liked the fact that clicking on a .deb or an .rpm file would fire up "Xandros Networks" (something equivalent to Synaptic) to install it! I really look for the day that Synaptic will be able to do the same (and fix dependencies automatically)!:dreams on:

good idea.

I liked the fact that there were Drive Letters same as winblows so as not to confuse users C: and D:!

no offense, but this is a bad idea. gnu/linux is not windows, nor should we attempt to be a 1 for 1 clone. gnu/linux is a clone of unix.

I really liked that fancy lilo splash! Let's steal that too (if it's GPL'd ofcourse)! :twisted: (and add Ubuntu's logo to that place...)

i think this is already in hoary... anyone, know this for sure?

Hmm that's it...I didn't like ANYTHING else in this hated/kde-centric/proprietary software! :twisted:

that why i don't run xandros.

crane
February 3rd, 2005, 05:47 PM
What I find funny about using drive letters is the fact that they are confusing to people new to windows as well. I mean the average window user has know idea why it's called a drive or what a drive is for that matter.
This is one of the first things I liked about linux. Once all is set up correctly in fstab, the system boots up mounts all drives and you have a file system not a computer with a, c, d, and e drives just a siple structered filesystem.

Just my 2 cents.

piedamaro
February 3rd, 2005, 07:01 PM
If one can justify the reason to call the root partition C: (insted of A: for ex.) then go for drive letters :D

Xappe
February 3rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
nah, no fancy bootsplash / grubsplash in Hoary by default. yet anyways. Afaik they're working on usplash, but I haven't heard if it's going to make it for the Hoary release...

KiwiNZ
February 3rd, 2005, 07:43 PM
I have tried Xandros , I ran it on a box for about 2 weeks . Its very good. I felt however ,if I want "Windows XP" I will run Windows XP.

Xandros will be a great OEM product for mass resellers on the High Street and it has the potential to lure many Windows users, but it just was not me . Just to Windows cloned. I would hate to see Ubuntu go down that cloned track. Finding easier ways for windows escapes to migrate now thats a different story.

CowPie
February 3rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
Xandors drive letters are ONLY for fat32 drives that it finds, so when you see a "c" or "d", it's your windows drive! It's not confusing or a betrayal or anything like that...

Linux filesystem is still "/"

Lastly, Xandros File Manager is the best out there :)