PDA

View Full Version : "Creating The Ultimate GUI" Bringing the Whole World to Use Linux

ahmedakg
January 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Lets all start working on a New GUI for linux. Something that just sweeps away the entire OS market by a storm. Imagine wat an ideal OS should be like. I have a few suggestions which are;
1. It should have a built in support to run all the software on the market for all platforms like MS, Mac, Sun, Java, Linux, Android, Unix, Dos, u name it and it will run it for you. if u like a certain mac app and at the same time any MS app and even linux app. and you want to work on them simultaneously cuz u think dat will really make it simpler for u to do a certain project in no time.
2. Complete Driver Support, everything plug n play.
3. Easy to use by anyone. Even my grand ma. The simple click click GUI with easy names.
4. A graphical work of art dat attracts anyone.
5. Something which makes our daily work much easier.
6. No viruses, No internet threats. We just dont have time for such things in the coming future to hold us back.

and i need the best developers of this forum to work on it as a team. I love linux. and i believe in it and that i want to see it lead the future. it is the future. and dat is my vision.

I'll really appreciate it if anyone also thinks the same way as i do. share ur thoughts. and if anyone can start this project, i'm full of futuristic ideas and willing to help.

Thanks
Dr. AHmed

DocXcz
January 23rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
1. It should have a built in support to run all the software on the market for all platforms like MS, Mac, Sun, Java, Linux, Android, Unix, Dos, u name it and it will run it for you. if u like a certain mac app and at the same time any MS app and even linux app. and you want to work on them simultaneously cuz u think dat will really make it simpler for u to do a certain project in no time.

Yeah, it would be really great, but it is imho less than impossible.

It is nearly done.. But IMHO it is problem of hardware producents, which dont open hw specifications :(

3. Easy to use by anyone. Even my grand ma. The simple click click GUI with easy names.

I think that Ubuntu goes that way, long way...

6. No viruses, No internet threats.

Yet linux is not too vulnerable. But antivirus software already exists.

I'll really appreciate it if anyone also thinks the same way as i do. share ur thoughts. and if anyone can start this project, i'm full of futuristic ideas and willing to help.

I think that everyone who uses linux or generaly computer, will love this. We all know this. But it is very long and hard job.

If you would help us, start with something small and specific. Step by step ;) This abstract points we all know imho ;)

hemimaniac
January 23rd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Both parties make good points, but i feel there is a bigger handicap to spreading the "feeling of linux, then mentioned here, please let me explain.

I have been actively using *unix for a year now, I juggle between linx mint, arch linux, debian, and ubuntu. In regards to what i have read here, imo there is one thing above all else that will help the spread of GNU software such as linux. KEEP WHAT WORKS, by this i mean everytime there is a new release, the forums quickly fill up with the inevitable "well it worked in 8.04 but 9.04 broke it or it isn't even available".

This to me is the single most detrimental thing that could be said about any softwarte/product ( biggest reason why many held off on vista ), Now I'm not trying to be negative, in FACT I LOVE my linux mint, and yes it is built on ubuntu so alot of stuff that im used to doesnt change. ( i joke by calling it Ubuntu fixed ), but when i decided to try out mint 8, I was greatly disapointed, as follows;

- Basic ASRock Mother board #N68PV-GS has on board multi-channel sound capabilities mint 6 and 7 picked up on it with no questons, a simple setting in volume manager preferences and BAM i got my 6 channel sound, I buggered with mint 8 for 3 days ( no intuative detection ) and though i got to get 6 channel sound the number of patches and fixes applied made simultanious output absolutely un bearable.

- Basic graphics support, once again with the same mother board my onboard graphic choices were limited with the mint 8 install yet 6 & 7 were able to alow me to get to at least 1280x1024 with 8 i was limited to 640x480 ( brutal )

These are just a couple of things i noticed along the way, now i realize that the next release is still in its infancy with a lot of "newlly applied" stuff but it would not be as daunting a task to greet new users with "Hey, everything that worked in the last release still does, BUT look what we went and did now, as well"

Other then that, linux still is more than an alternative to Liscenced software, it is an ability to freely associate with what is available from the planet with out worry to infringement, cost.

juancarlospaco
January 23rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
No, be a man, learn...

NCLI
January 23rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
*cough*http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1388523*cough*
Please use proper grammar ;)

The Real Dave
January 24th, 2010, 12:45 AM
*Dramatic Voice* And for my next trick, I shall pull World Peace out of this Rabbit!

Wait a minute......

earthpigg
January 24th, 2010, 01:17 AM
most of your suggestions are already being worked on.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 01:24 AM
*Dramatic Voice* And for my next trick, I shall pull World Peace out of this Rabbit!

Wait a minute......

fantastic...=D>

ctrlmd
January 24th, 2010, 01:36 AM
:-kwonders what ubuntu all about :-$

CJ Master
January 24th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Either this is a hilarious joke or OP doesn't realize the absurdity that he just posted. Funny stuff either way.

AllRadioisDead
January 24th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Either this is a hilarious joke or OP doesn't realize the absurdity that he just posted. Funny stuff either way.
To be honest, I think if it's a joke it's a bad one at that.
If not, then yes it's funny.

danwosere2007
January 24th, 2010, 05:27 AM
This sounds like Einsteins unification theory but with computers man....:P

Giant Speck
January 24th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Pffffthahahahahahahaha

Windows.

Windows.

Windows.

Windows.

6. No viruses, No internet threats. We just dont have time for such things in the coming future to hold us back.

Windows, provided the user isn't retarded.

and i need the best developers of this forum to work on it as a team.

Linux is fragmented enough as it is; I seriously doubt everyone is just going to come together to work on something like this. Every one will end up having differing opinions and as a result, the project will probably go nowhere.

danwosere2007
January 24th, 2010, 05:36 AM
*Does best Golem impression he can....One O/S to rule them all..yes precious........linux is me precious........;)

L4U
January 24th, 2010, 06:18 AM
If you want to bring the world to Linux then develop more killer apps.

When that happens and people start to flocking to Linux, then hardware manufactures will start providing more drivers for Linux.

CJ Master
January 24th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Windows.

Good one!

AllRadioisDead
January 24th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Good one!
Windows 7 is beautiful, it sure beats the hell out of gnome. KDE is debateble I suppose.

Hetor
January 24th, 2010, 08:58 AM
1. It should have a built in support to run all the software on the market for all platforms

Stopped reading here.