PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Installing KDE on Ubuntu 9.10

dancewithpratik
January 23rd, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hi folks,
Please tell me how to install KDE on Ubuntu 9.10.
I tried with "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" but installation couldnt complete due to proxy server on my Internet Connection which prevents access to *torrent*.

Also tried with,
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta
but got the error
<urlopen error [Errno 111] Connection refused>

Please Help me .... Waiting

XubuRoxMySox
January 23rd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Try it using Synaptic Package Manager. Find "kubuntu-desktop" and click "Mark for Installation," then "Apply."

It may only be that the server for your location is down for the moment, or too busy.

Synaptic works great!

When you log out after its installation, find the Options button on the Login screen and select KDE as your Session.

Enjoy!

-Robin

nothingspecial
January 23rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
sudo apt-get install kde-core

You don`t have to install the whole of kubuntu

lovinglinux
January 23rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
sudo apt-get install kde-core

You don`t have to install the whole of kubuntu

The kde-core no longer exists on Karmic. The equivalent is kde-minimal, which is the one I use, plus kdeplasma-addons.

nothingspecial
January 23rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
The kde-core no longer exists on Karmic. The equivalent is kde-minimal, which is the one I use, plus kdeplasma-addons.

Oh - sorry,

Not on karmic right now.

I would like to reinforce my point though, that you don`t need to install kubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop and everything else that goes along with them just to try another DE.

lovinglinux
January 23rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
Oh - sorry,

Not on karmic right now.

No problem. Is hard to keep tabs on such changes.

I would like to reinforce my point though, that you don`t need to install kubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop and everything else that goes along with them just to try another DE.

I agree. I have a command-line Ubuntu installation, with kde-minimal, kdplasma-addons and just the applications I need. It works like a charm.

vikjon0
March 20th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Edit: my bad
kdebase-workspace-bin or --no-install-recommends kde-minimal works pretty good. I would say the latter is closest to gnome-core.