PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu really needs quicker way for killing apps

karagorge
January 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Beside the Force quit button and the hints that we all can find to make keyboard shortcuts to kill applications the new version of Ubuntu seriously needs the Ctrl+Alt+Delete shortcut that will turn on the Task Manager. This function is similar to Windows but it's effective and works best. Ubuntu is great OS too bad it doesn't have the option to kill applications like windows has.

Please put something to kill apps faster and more efficient...

Psumi
January 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
alt+F2, type killall <process>

I have to do this a lot when firefox crashes or when I have to restart firefox manually.

karagorge
January 23rd, 2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah i know all about Alt+F2 but thats not the way. Sometimes it doesn't work. Ubuntu needs application that will block all others and appear with a list of all the apps that are running now and can be killed.

cascade9
January 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
Beside the Force quit button and the hints that we all can find to make keyboard shortcuts to kill applications the new version of Ubuntu seriously needs the Ctrl+Alt+Delete shortcut that will turn on the Task Manager. This function is similar to Windows but it's effective and works best. Ubuntu is great OS too bad it doesn't have the option to kill applications like windows has.

Please put something to kill apps faster and more efficient...

Easy enough to kill apps from system monitor as well, if you dont like to touch the command line....

llawwehttam
January 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
kde has Ctrl+alt+Esc then simply click on the window you want to kill. It might be possible to port it over to gnome.

Psumi
January 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
Try xkill.

Set it to a key combination, then left click a window.

karagorge
January 23rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
Well that can be posible but it is not what i want. I have to restart the computer always when application stucks and the Alt+F2 doesn't work. Something has to be done. Windows has the Task Manager which blocks everything.. why can't ubuntu has something like that. I know it has System Monitor which isn't as powerfull as the task manager from windows. The developers have to do something about it...

i've tried xkill btw..

Psumi
January 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Well that can be posible but it is not what i want. I have to restart the computer always when application stucks and the Alt+F2 doesn't work. Something has to be done. Windows has the Task Manager which blocks everything.. why can't ubuntu has something like that. I know it has System Monitor which isn't as powerfull as the task manager from windows. The developers have to do something about it...

i've tried xkill btw..

Then you're better off going back to windows. System Monitor is basically task manager for me, and I've been around since win95, so I know how powerful something is.

And as many have said: Linux is not windows.

Bölvağur
January 23rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
window's task manager is.... oh I cannot say what I need to.

window's task manager isn't good.
What is needed is a key binding that kills the focused application no matter what, so the application cannot overwrite that to do nothing. I hate fullscreen apps crashing or become unresponsive. There is no reason to get a list of processes, just use ps -e and and killall.

Xbehave
January 23rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
just bind something to system monitor/htop/etc, kde has ctrl+esc bound to sometool (or i bound it but i think it came by default)