PDA

View Full Version : Plz HELP !!!!!!!!!

llawwehttam
January 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
Duz any1 h8 it wen u se a title lyke the 1 abve and the prblm is in txtx lnguge and u cnt rely undstand it and u jst get frstrated and it maks u not help.

TRANSLATION: Do you hate people who can't type something legible even when perfectly capable?

Techsnap
January 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Yes, when I know that they're capable of using full English. I'm more understanding with people when English is not their first language, and grammar and spelling doesn't bother me, it's not an English exam. However I don't like it that stupid "txt/aim" talk.

llawwehttam
January 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
I know what you mean. Just to clarify, this poll is NOT aimed against people who do not have English as their first language, this poll is about those who can speak English fluently but still choose to type in unreadable gibberish.

Berk
January 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
I'm even guilty of this with people I know in real life.

If they ask me for help online (via email, facebook etc) and it is in gibberish then I have a habit of not getting the message in time, this becomes even more likely if they're people on my course at Uni, who really, should know better.

TyrantWave
January 23rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
Depends. If they use a few abbreviations that aren't needed, it'll irk me but I'll still help.

If they use typical AOL gibberish speak, no I won't. They can't be bother to make their question readable, why should we be bothered to answer it?

mharrison
January 23rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
For me, the full on txt speech is enough to drive me crazy. But if someone throws in a few "u"'s or plz's, it doesn't bother me as much. No matter what, I'll still see if I can help, and maybe just hint that they try wording their questions in full english. But, seeing as how I am still in the "noob" level, I don't know how much help I will be able to give anyone.

Lightstar
January 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
If they don't care enough to spell, I don't care enough to help. I can handle typos without problems, but that "text speech" crap is annoying. And once you know proper english, it's not harder to type a full word. Sure on those phones with multiple-letters on each button, it can take longer. That's not an excuse to write that bad.

I also can't handle parents who teach wrong words to babies.
wawa = water ?
mimi = milk ?
etc
Poor kid has to learn the language twice.

RiceMonster
January 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
Yup, drives me crazy. A web forum isn't an IM chat. I don't even type like that in text messages or IM's, actually.

jwbrase
January 23rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
It does bother me a bit, but a big part of me hates confrontation, so I try to ignore it.

Plus, looking back on my life so far, there are more things I regret that have to do with acting 10 or 20 years above my age than 10 or 20 years below it, so I always feel a bit guilty for getting irritated with people that do act 10 or 20 years younger.

MelDJ
January 23rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Yup, drives me crazy. A web forum isn't an IM chat. .

same with me.
but i do type like that when texting to fit the text in 1 message

Eisenwinter
January 23rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Yup, drives me crazy. A web forum isn't an IM chat. I don't even type like that in text messages or IM's, actually.
Same for me. It really annoys me, to the point where I'll simply ignore that person completely.

jwbrase
January 23rd, 2010, 04:58 PM
/biɪŋ ə lɪŋgwɪstɪks mainɚ, ai hæv bɛn nəun tu rəit ləik thɪs æt taimz/

overdrank
January 23rd, 2010, 05:39 PM
TRANSLATION: Do you hate idiots who can't type something legible even when perfectly capable?

Calling them idiots is not helping. :)

JDShu
January 23rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
No. People can type however they want, its not my place to judge them. If I can read it then I will do what I can to help. The particular example by the OP is very readable, so I would have no problem. However if they typed something that has to take a significant amount of time to decipher, then I would choose not to spend that time deciphering.

SuperSonic4
January 23rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Yes, everyone makes typos so that's not a reason to not help. With the exception of those for whom English isn't a first language if there are common grammatical errors I won't help

JSeymour
January 23rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
If somebody shows up, asking for help, and can't be bothered to take the time to type completely- and properly-spelled words, I can't be bothered to spend my time helping them. I especially dislike "u" in place of "you," "r" in place of "are," etc.

Note: The above most definitely does not apply to those I suspect that for whom English of some flavour is not their native language. (Well, except for the "u" and "r" thing.)

In on-line company I know, I'll purposely use colloquialisms, l33tsp33k, purposeful misspelling (such as "wunnerful") and so-on. Otherwise I'll occasionally use "tho" in place of "though," and "thru" in place of "through," but those are generally accepted informal alternative spellings.

ankspo71
January 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Duz any1 h8 it wen u se a title lyke the 1 abve and the prblm is in txtx lnguge and u cnt rely undstand it and u jst get frstrated and it maks u not help.

TRANSLATION: Do you hate idiots who can't type something legible even when perfectly capable?

I'll try to help anyone, but it's alot harder on me to read things like what you just said. Sometimes I don't know what people are asking when they use words like that, so I can't help them at all. Plain English is hard enough, and it's the only language I know lol.

chessnerd
January 23rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
It's like nails on a chalkboard, but I still try to help them (and sometimes tell them that they should clarify things by using normal English). Some people just love to use IMspeak. I never do (even on IM) but that's just me.

Now, if they also respond to my help in IMspeak after I tell them that they shouldn't use it, then I might get a little mad... :x

madnessjack
January 23rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
I am not prejudice, so this does not affect my response.

RabbitWho
January 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM

Maybe someone has pointed this out already but:

*Not really too bothered

Maybe you should take a look at yourself before you start name calling.

scouser73
January 23rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Using text writing to ask for help or anything is annoying, but I'd try and decipher what was being asked and help out from there. I think that the forums should ban that type of writing really, it serves no purpose.

Leppie
January 23rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
Calling them idiots is not helping. :)
they aren't helping us to help them by using stupid titles and horrible writing.
also people get upset if you don't understand straight away what they mean (even if they wrote something completely different).

azagaros
January 23rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
The language of the post does't generally turn me off. It is looking a question some times with a point of arrogance and the stupidity sometimes.

did we put the 2 cents into thought first? I do understand there are no stupid questions but sometimes you wonder how low you have to lower your intelligence to get an answer out.

at a pc users group...A person asks about moving a file from a system to a drive to another drive and he is curious about the if the attributes of a file maintaining on Encrypted files. Say from NTFS to Fat32 to Ext2/3/4. He didn't like the basic answers I gave, from the perspective of writing and maintaining os code...

I would like to see help no matter this, but I do understand if the question might be out of your league in the first place.

NCLI
January 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM
I will avoid people like that, yes. It annoys me, and since I'm using me free time on this, I can choose to let someone else help them.

lykwydchykyn
January 23rd, 2010, 11:05 PM
Honestly it depends on my mood and how bored I am.

It's not that I'm so full of myself that I can't deign to read something with grammatical or spelling errors. It's that this nonsense is hard to read and decipher.

If I have reason to suspect they aren't native English speakers, I'll make the effort since they made the effort to write in a non-native tongue.

d3v1150m471c
January 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
I'll help anyone unless they're being malicious or I simply cannot understand them.

Chronon
January 24th, 2010, 12:25 AM
/biɪŋ ə lɪŋgwɪstɪks mainɚ, ai hæv bɛn nəun tu rəit ləik thɪs æt taimz/

Beautiful!

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I do try and help sometimes, but it depends on my mood, but writing such as the OP used in his example really annoys me.

The person seeking help is seeking it of people who are helping of their own free will. The onus is therefore on the seeker of help to make things as easy as possible.

What I also can't stand is text without capital letters or punctuation. I once tried to help someone, and it took me a good 10 minutes to figure out what the hell he meant.

I also do not mean people who are writing in their second language. One can almost always tell by the type of "mistake" whether it is someone using their second (or third or fourth) language or a native speaker. I also don't really have a problem with someone who just has poor spelling and grammar skills. What I can't stand is people who just don't make the effort.

What is almost certain to stop me from helpung is a post full of abbreviations, lacking in punctuation, and finishing off with the plea for quick help "because I need the computer for school".
I'd like to see someone like that get through school writing like that.

beetleman64
January 24th, 2010, 01:23 AM
txtspk really annoys me, I still try to help but it annoys me in forums more when people are capable of good English and have a full keyboard.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 01:26 AM
txtspk really annoys me, I still try to help but it annoys me in forums more when people are capable of good English and have a full keyboard.

hear hear!

k64
January 24th, 2010, 02:18 AM
When I see my fellow classmates using "IM language" it appals me. They learned to speak English years ago, in elementary school! They're now in high school, and so am I.

It's the same way on the forums. If you don't type full words, don't post!

lisati
January 24th, 2010, 02:21 AM
If they don't care enough to spell, I don't care enough to help. I can handle typos without problems, but that "text speech" crap is annoying. And once you know proper english, it's not harder to type a full word. Sure on those phones with multiple-letters on each button, it can take longer. That's not an excuse to write that bad.

I also can't handle parents who teach wrong words to babies.
wawa = water ?
mimi = milk ?
etc
Poor kid has to learn the language twice.

Mimi for milk? That would be unfortunate here in Porirua. Um er how do I explain this politely? "Mimi" can mean ""pee", in Maori and Samoan......

Greenwidth
January 24th, 2010, 02:28 AM
TXT SPK FTW!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

The Toxic Mite
January 24th, 2010, 02:59 AM

My English teacher is a bit like that; she usually separates her texts into paragraphs too.

I don't mind using it on IM or text messages, but that depends on how bothered I can be to type (i.e. if I'm fairly tired then I rarely type out messages in full).

Frak
January 24th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Other: Yes, to the point of mocking them.

BETATEST
January 24th, 2010, 09:05 AM
If they try to be cute and use 'L33T SPEAK because that's what they think all the 'LEET 'BNTU H4XORS do in these forums ... I don't give them the time of day.

The Toxic Mite
January 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM
If they try to be cute and use 'L33T SPEAK because that's what they think all the 'LEET 'BNTU H4XORS do in these forums ... I don't give them the time of day.

This ^^

EDIT: Just voted #1 on the poll. Also, if I saw it on a plain English forum like here, the post would have to be reported.

Dayofswords
January 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM

its what text messages had done to the world

The Toxic Mite
January 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM
its what text messages had done to the world

Oh yes...

:|

madnessjack
January 24th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I don't mind text speak in a message but when guys write "This" all the time it ticks me off. Can't you be arsed to write "I agree" or something a little more grammatically correct? Sorry if it ain't leet enough.

Frak
January 24th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I don't mind text speak in a message but when guys write "This" all the time it ticks me off. Can't you be arsed to write "I agree" or something a little more grammatically correct? Sorry if it ain't leet enough.
This.

Also, I don't like txt speak because I have a difficult time deciphering some of it. If you're wondering, yes, my friends write plain English when they text, and if they speak German, we allow contracting some terms, because Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung (speed limit) is a long word to write on a phone.

Lightstar
January 24th, 2010, 07:34 PM
This.

Also, I don't like txt speak because I have a difficult time deciphering some of it. If you're wondering, yes, my friends write plain English when they text, and if they speak German, we allow contracting some terms, because Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung (speed limit) is a long word to write on a phone.

Oi! I do hate txt speak but you have a point there, I knew German used some crazy-long words. Is there an official version for contracted words or it's more like a slang?

k64
January 24th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hey, I'm a teenager myself, and I still don't use that IM crap when I'm posting. I use proper English, complete with capitalization and punctuation.

It's appalling to see others use that garbage.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Oi! I do hate txt speak but you have a point there, I knew German used some crazy-long words.
They don't separate individual words in the names of things. You end up with names like rechargablebatteryloadingdevice.

Is there an official version for contracted words or it's more like a slang?
It is a mixture. Abbreviations are commonplace, for instance KFZ for Kraftfahrzeug (motorized vehicle). There is also an annoying tendency to think that english words are somehow better.

Techsnap
January 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM
complete with capitalization and punctuation.

But no EN_GB localisation?

Frak
January 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Oi! I do hate txt speak but you have a point there, I knew German used some crazy-long words. Is there an official version for contracted words or it's more like a slang?
Long German words are just long descriptions. For instance, Oberammergaueralpenkräuterdelikatessenfrühstückskä se literally means Deli-style breakfast cheese with mountain herbs from the state of Oberammergau. If we were to text about it, we would just call it OBKäse.

SuperSonic4
January 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Plus of course you need to use a capital letter for every noun in German

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Plus of course you need to use a capital letter for every noun in German

You know you've been here too long when...
you start capitalising everything in English, but still forget to do it in German... ;)

Frak
January 24th, 2010, 08:13 PM
you start capitalising everything in English, but still forget to do it in German... ;)

Haha, this.

Mariane
January 24th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I never type like that, especially not in English, I wouldn't know how to do it.

But I like reading it. It teaches me about English pronounciation. Here for example I discovered that "hate" is pronounced "h" + "8" instead of "h" + "ate" as in "to eat" in the past tense.

These messages are like little puzzles, fun to solve, and for a foreigner such as me they really make you think about English pronounciation.

Mariane

lykwydchykyn
January 24th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Here for example I discovered that "hate" is pronounced "h" + "8" instead of "h" + "ate" as in "to eat" in the past tense.

Maybe it's just the part of the English speaking world where I live, but "8" and "ate" are pronounced pretty much the same. I'm trying to think through other accents, but any I can think of pronounce it the same.

audiomick
January 25th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Maybe it's just the part of the English speaking world where I live, but "8" and "ate" are pronounced pretty much the same. I'm trying to think through other accents, but any I can think of pronounce it the same.

You're right. Using numbers as parts of words is just being "clever".

gn2
January 25th, 2010, 12:35 AM
None of the poll options apply.
If I clicked on a thread and it was written in txtspk, I would immediately click on the back button without even reading it.

lisati
January 25th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I never type like that, especially not in English, I wouldn't know how to do it.

But I like reading it. It teaches me about English pronounciation. Here for example I discovered that "hate" is pronounced "h" + "8" instead of "h" + "ate" as in "to eat" in the past tense.

These messages are like little puzzles, fun to solve, and for a foreigner such as me they really make you think about English pronounciation.

Mariane

Where I live, "ate" and "eight" are pronounced pretty much the same way, are are "their", "there" and "they're".... It does annoy me when I hear people say something that sounds like "I sore it!" when they mean "I saw it!"

gn2
January 25th, 2010, 12:43 AM
The worst one is people writing should of instead of should've.

lisati
January 25th, 2010, 12:44 AM
The worst one is people writing should of instead of should've.

I find that annoying too. I'm sure we could come up with a number of examples without completely derailing the thread......

Lightstar
January 25th, 2010, 01:09 AM
None of the poll options apply.
If I clicked on a thread and it was written in txtspk, I would immediately click on the back button without even reading it.

I'd count that as not helping

madnessjack
January 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Also let's face it, we'd all be fubarred without a spell-checker :P

Mariane
January 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM

Then I'm doing it wrong. I pronounce 8 with a diphtongue [eyt] and ate with a longish first vowel [et].

Mariane

audiomick
January 25th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Then I'm doing it wrong. I pronounce 8 with a diphtongue [eyt] and ate with a longish first vowel [et].

Mariane

don't be fooled by the spelling. You can't rely on that in english :)
"Eight" and "ate" sound the same, and "dough", "trough", "through" and "enough" all have a different sound for "...ough". Great language! :)

lykwydchykyn
January 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM

Mariane

I wouldn't say that it's wrong, just that we don't generally get that subtle about pronunciation. At least not where I live; exact vowel sounds are probably the biggest difference between regional accents.

llawwehttam
January 25th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Maybe someone has pointed this out already but:

*Not really too bothered

Maybe you should take a look at yourself before you start name calling.

Haha. Sorry, I apologize

audiomick
January 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
... exact vowel sounds are probably the biggest difference between regional accents.

True. I read somewhere that this is what constitutes an accent. It becomes a dialect when there are also grammatical differences.

alwayshere
January 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Any help is good help and Im a big boy now and I can choose to take that help or not.

JBAlaska
January 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Yes it bugs me some, but not as much as the forum pronunciation and spelling "Police"..you know who you are..:-)

m4tic
January 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
ts mch mre efcient typn ds wy dnt ya tnk?

RabbitWho
January 25th, 2010, 08:47 PM
/biɪŋ ə lɪŋgwɪstɪks mainɚ, ai hæv bɛn nəun tu rəit ləik thɪs æt taimz/I had to learn that alphabet too in order to teach ESL .. and i gotta tell ya.. that's not how I pronounce things. Also you left out the stress mark in linguistics.

Being Irish, the American is closer than the Brittish one, but for the most part it drives me crazy.

... exact vowel sounds are probably the biggest difference between regional accents.

There is a type of brain injury known as "foreign accent syndrome" which causes people to shorten or lenghten their vowels.

llawwehttam
January 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
ts mch mre efcient typn ds wy dnt ya tnk?

Maybe to type but not for others to read. If you use good English ( typos don't count) then it does help people to help you.

audiomick
January 25th, 2010, 10:04 PM
There is a type of brain injury known as "foreign accent syndrome" which causes people to shorten or lenghten their vowels.

Heard a New Zealander speak lately? (Baa...);)