PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Buggy intel graphics driver after update

finni
January 23rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
I own a HP nx7400 laptop with Intel integrated 945GM graphics. I updated from Ubuntu 32bit jaunty 9.04 to 32bit karmic 9.10 with update-manager and after that intel driver seems to hang the system randomly when I plug an external monitor to the laptop and use 'gnome-display-properties' to try to activate the monitor (mirroring laptop screen and same resolution monitor). The monitor now gets a signal, but both the screens go black and ubuntu is now unresponsive and I have to boot manually by holding power-off -key from the laptop.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

finni
January 24th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I own a HP nx7400 laptop with Intel integrated 945GM graphics. I updated from Ubuntu 32bit jaunty 9.04 to 32bit karmic 9.10 with update-manager and after that intel driver seems to hang the system randomly when I plug an external monitor to the laptop and use 'gnome-display-properties' to try to activate the monitor (mirroring laptop screen and same resolution monitor). The monitor now gets a signal, but both the screens go black and ubuntu is now unresponsive and I have to boot manually by holding power-off -key from the laptop.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Anyone?

Now it also seems to hang the system when monitor is turned off to save power on the laptop.

finni
January 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure if it's the intel graphics driver, the gnome screen "applet" or Xorg problem.

Anyone else experiencing this?

lamba_lam
January 30th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure if it's the intel graphics driver, the gnome screen "applet" or Xorg problem.

Anyone else experiencing this?

i am i have intel 845 motherboard i am pretty sure i am having same problem. every hour or 2 i have to reset the system. nothing works.
i am trying out lucid btw.

falconindy
January 30th, 2010, 07:01 PM
i am i have intel 845 motherboard i am pretty sure i am having same problem. every hour or 2 i have to reset the system. nothing works.
i am trying out lucid btw.
Your issue is likely unrelated to the OP's. Lucid's kernel (2.6.32) is currently hell on Intel graphics.

@OP: If you're using KMS, consider enabling it. If you are using it, disable it. Yes I understand this may seem odd, but KMS is somewhat buggy and seems to perform differently on every Intel chipset.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting

lamba_lam
January 30th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Your issue is likely unrelated to the OP's. Lucid's kernel (2.6.32) is currently hell on Intel graphics.

o_O should i go back to 9.10 then?

falconindy
January 31st, 2010, 12:41 AM
o_O should i go back to 9.10 then?
You get the same advice that the OP did. The only difference is that in 2.6.31, KMS is disabled by default. In 2.6.32, KMS is enabled by default.

lamba_lam
January 31st, 2010, 06:03 PM
You get the same advice that the OP did. The only difference is that in 2.6.31, KMS is disabled by default. In 2.6.32, KMS is enabled by default.

o i see but the thing is i am new so i don't know how to disable KMS. please through some light. :)

falconindy
January 31st, 2010, 07:18 PM
Follow the same instructions from the wiki link above. Wherever they mention i915.modeset=1, just replace the 1 with a 0.

lamba_lam
January 31st, 2010, 09:55 PM
Follow the same instructions from the wiki link above. Wherever they mention i915.modeset=1, just replace the 1 with a 0.
actually i was about to do that but was afraid and decided to ask. Thanks for your help. :D

finni
February 3rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
I will try enabling KMS today. I have 2.6.31-17 kernel.

finni
February 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I will try enabling KMS today. I have 2.6.31-17 kernel.

It still hangs occasionally, but less than with having KMS disabled.