PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Typing German umlauts using an US keyboard

f.zweig
January 23rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Hello there!

I'm having a little problem with my keyboard layout settings on Ubuntu Karmic. Using an US layout, I was able to print German umlauts (mutated vowels) using the right CTRL key plus one of the keys ";", "'" and "[" (keycodes 47, 48 and 34). But this was only possible in gnome-terminal and the ttys, all the other apps just printed the American characters. After playing with my keyboard layout settings a bit (having no luck and restoring them to defaults using the button in gnome-keyboard-properties), I lost this configurations and am not able to print umlauts any more.

After generating a .Xmodmap file using

xmodmap -pke > .XmodmapI discovered that there are entries for the characters [aouAOU]diaeresis (representing the umlauts) for these keycodes. So, the problem is that GNOME doesn't respect these settings, but uses it's own layout instead.

I recently found a bug for xkb-data (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xkeyboard-config/+bug/408397) which may be or may not be adhere to this behaviour, however, installing the patched package from comment #6 doesn't help anything.

Testing Ubuntu Lucid, I was not able to reproduce the wanted behaviour.

So, finally my question is: How can I make GNOME respect the settings from the default /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.xy and get the desired behaviour back and use it system-wide, not only in gnome-terminal and TTYs?

I'm looking forward to any help and will be glad to answer any further questions! :-)

Regards,
Felix

p.s.: For anyone speaking German, I also wrote a post in the German forum, but didn't got a reply there. Have a look at http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/umlaute-auf-us-tastatur/ for more detail.

Lizzy
January 24th, 2010, 04:17 PM
realy weird :D, i'm using a norwegian keyboard but i don't have to use the CTRL button to write umlaute in german... i just press '' followed by a e o u ------ which results in ö ü ä , Ä Ü Ö .

Leppie
January 24th, 2010, 05:06 PM
i believe the keyboard layouts with dead keys have to be selected to be able to use " as the umlaut.