PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] IPv6 security risk and backdoor

cilbuper
January 23rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
I forget what I was reading or what I was listening to, it may have been Hakin9 magazine or some security podcast. I am not a security expert so bare with me as I will try to explain what I heard.

The jist of the report was that many people have missed a large security issue which is related to the IPv6 protcol. Since most people are not using IPv6 yet, many people forget to secure it.

I think this is especially an issue for anyone with a server that is connected to the internet.

I don't remember much more than this, but I do remeber that the expert said that it is a high security risk and it needed to be addressed.

I was wondering if there are steps that should be gone through to secure this protocol?

Lars Noodén
January 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
Is it delayed memory recall of the March / April 2007 discussions of IPv6 type 0 route headers which, before that was fixed, could be used to mount a DoS attack against hosts and networks?

Post back if you can find a link to whatever it was that you are trying to describe. Otherwise...

rookcifer
January 23rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
I think you're probably talking about this. (http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/071309-rogue-ipv6.html?page=1) But this is not really a flaw in the protocol itself, but a result of many people not realizing that IPv6 is operating on their machine.

movieman
January 26th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I believe the Ubuntu firewalls (at least firestarter and I think ufw) block IPV6 by default, because I remember having to hack some configuration files to get it to work.

bodhi.zazen
January 26th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I believe the Ubuntu firewalls (at least firestarter and I think ufw) block IPV6 by default, because I remember having to hack some configuration files to get it to work.

No, they do not.

I can not imagine firestarte does this, firestarter is very old and has not been maintained since 2005.

UFW does not.

To see your ip6 rules you need to use ip6tables

sudo ip6tables -L -v

If you start UFW or firestarter, you can see your ipv4 rules

sudo iptables -L -v

but there are no rules for ipv6

sudo ip6tables -L -v

movieman
January 27th, 2010, 01:09 AM
No, they do not.

Ah, you're right: I just checked the config file and it was IPSEC I had to hack in there.