PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Sphere instead of Desktop Cube

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 07:21 AM
Here's how to morph your Desktop Cube into a sphere:\

Click to install CompizConfig Settings Manager ('apt:/compizconfig-settings-manager').

When you're done installing, open it in "System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager".

You need to enable three plugins: "Desktop Cube", "Rotate Cube" and "Cube Reflection and Deformation". When asked to resolve conflicts, please do so.

Click on the "Cube Reflection and Deformation" button. In the "Deformation" tab, set the "Deformation" value to "Sphere". You're all set. Use Ctrl+Alt+Right to see what you've done.

kevCast
January 23rd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Neat.

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 07:36 AM
This is what it did to me:

mikkie
January 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
This is what it did to me:

You must be out of this planet.

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
you must be out of this planet.

ROTFLMAO! That is funny.

loell
January 23rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
OMG! Hannah Montana Linux! is that you!? :D

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
OMG! Hannah Montana Linux! is that you!? :D

It's definitely me, Kenny Strawn. However, that said, I really have Ubuntu with a different desktop background. Nothing more.

xpod
January 23rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
It's definitely me, Kenny Strawn. However, that said, I really have Ubuntu with a different desktop background. Nothing more.

Now all you need to do is go find yourself the appropriately split earth wallpaper and make yourself a globe.

Edit:...>Blue Peter mode<........here`s one someone made earlier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTi5MZ994Ms

Swagman
January 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Perhaps I shouldn't say this but I couldn't get over the fact he has a folder called LibencCrack and next to it is a picture of a girl .......

Must be just my dirty mind working overtime

dragos240
January 23rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Here's how to morph your Desktop Cube into a sphere:\

Click to install CompizConfig Settings Manager (apt:/compizconfig-settings-manager).

When you're done installing, open it in "System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager".

You need to enable three plugins: "Desktop Cube", "Rotate Cube" and "Cube Reflection and Deformation". When asked to resolve conflicts, please do so.

Click on the "Cube Reflection and Deformation" button. In the "Deformation" tab, set the "Deformation" value to "Sphere". You're all set. Use Ctrl+Alt+Right to see what you've done.

You're a bit late.

Bölvağur
January 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Now all you need to do is go find yourself the appropriately split earth wallpaper and make yourself a globe.

Edit:...>Blue Peter mode<........here`s one someone made earlier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTi5MZ994Ms

that's pretty neat, even though it is probably only going to be cool when you show it to some one and it will only impress anyone for about 3 seconds.
but for those 3 seconds it is totally worth it

Giant Speck
January 23rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
2008 called. They want their shiny eye-candy back.

clanky
January 23rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
So awful for so many reasons.

Frak
January 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
So I put my hands up
They’re playing my song,
And the butterflies fly away
Noddin’ my head like yeah
Moving my hips like yeah

Queue29
January 23rd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Reason #32423 why Linux is better than Windows.

clanky
January 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Reason #32423 why Linux is better than Windows.

Yeah, a not quite spherical desktop with Hannah Montana photos, just what you want to make your computer productive, as if spinning cubes hadn't already owned all those other OS's which could only do stuff like run useful applications without crashing.

Name change
January 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Don't you know that's the future man...

Just wait until someone finds out about Desktop Cylinder in Kwin. That's really something... I think Compiz has it too.

So Kenny I'm giving you your next mission: set your Compiz so that it will have Desktop Cylinder.
It increases productivity by twofold from Desktop Sphere...

Tristam Green
January 25th, 2010, 02:23 PM
lol Shirley, you can't be serious.

pwnst*r
January 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Disgusting.

Groucho Marxist
January 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
that's pretty neat, even though it is probably only going to be cool when you show it to some one and it will only impress anyone for about 3 seconds.
but for those 3 seconds it is totally worth it

You'd be surprised; people are still impressed when they see my desktop cylinder.

Speaking of which, I wanted to let the OP know that you can also make a cylinder in Compiz as well :)

Groucho Marxist
January 25th, 2010, 03:07 PM
lol Shirley, you can't be serious.

Yes, I'm serious.
And stop calling me Shirley.

Tristam Green
January 25th, 2010, 03:29 PM
lol I am sorry, but those just look something other than useful or neat.

xuCGC002
January 25th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the turd of a sphere you got there. Maybe that laughter was aided by the fact that a picture of Miley Cyrus was horribly stretched over it.

Groucho Marxist
January 25th, 2010, 04:14 PM
lol I am sorry, but those just look something other than useful or neat.

"To each his own" is the expression that immediately comes to mind.

Tristam Green
January 25th, 2010, 04:19 PM

The cylinder looks a mite more useful or intuitive than the lop-sided raindrop, though.

whiskeylover
January 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM
The cylinder looks a mite more useful or intuitive than the lop-sided raindrop, though.

^

Groucho Marxist
January 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Now, that, I can absolutely agree on. To tell you the truth, I felt disoriented when I first used that sphere type transition.

RaZe42
January 25th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Yes, I'm serious.
And stop calling me Shirley.

+1 for reference :D