PDA

View Full Version : Include GCC in default install?

Quest-Master
February 3rd, 2005, 02:13 PM
After proclaiming about Ubuntu on communities I visit, it recently came under fire that it was not "real" Linux because it lacked one of the core components in a default install; GCC. I explained to them it was on the CD and as easy-to-install with apt-get, they insisted on being as moronic as they are, and are now spreading an image across the GW community that Ubuntu is a n00b's distribution and not real Linux.

I was just wondering if we could get this fixed in the default install of Hoary. ;)

MaZiNgA
February 3rd, 2005, 02:22 PM
After proclaiming about Ubuntu on communities I visit, it recently came under fire that it was not "real" Linux because it lacked one of the core components in a default install; GCC. I explained to them it was on the CD and as easy-to-install with apt-get, they insisted on being as moronic as they are, and are now spreading an image across the GW community that Ubuntu is a n00b's distribution and not real Linux.

I was just wondering if we could get this fixed in the default install of Hoary. ;)
If they don't like let them not use Ubuntu!
Now let's suppose it IS for "n00bs"...Hmmm...what's wrong with that? ;)

BTW gcc (the build-essential package) must be installed by default. At some time we all need it.

dusu
February 3rd, 2005, 02:36 PM

Hmmm, I'm glad to see that other people wonder why gcc is not part of the default install. I was also very surprised by this ! I agree with your proposal for Hoary.
And I'm a total n00b :)
It seems I don't fit in the n00b's definition of the morons you met :D
Next time you see these morons just tell them the Linux Kernel will be taken off the default install of Hoary, in order to make sure Ubuntu really is no real Linux :mrgreen:

Marquis_de_Carabas
February 3rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
There was a loooong debate about this before Warty was finalised (I'm not saying I was part of that debate, I just read the archives) and the decision was that Ubuntu is a desktop distro, and development packages aren't essential for that.

I can see their logic. A lot of people would probably be happy with the packages provided, while for those who want a bit more from their box, doing an "apt-get install build-essential" isn't particularly hard work (especially as the packages are on the CD, just not installed by default).

'Real' Linux distros are about choice, and Ubuntu is not taking away that choice; if you want the development packages then they're only an apt-get away!

This is just one of the reasons why - for me - Ubuntu is the perfect distro for just about anyone. For the total noob it generally 'just works' and when that noob has a bit more confidence and starts wanting to try out other things, Ubuntu can offer the necessary tools.

jdodson
February 3rd, 2005, 05:30 PM
hmmm i think gcc not installed by default does not make it a noobs distro. i install 90% of my software via apt-get, sometimes i compile from source. i bet most people dont touch source at all.

if people "love that source" maybe they should checkout LFS of gentoo, they are awesome if you "love that source" :mrgreen:

p.s. i "love access to the source", however i don't build from source if i don't have to.

CowPie
February 3rd, 2005, 08:16 PM

Yep, gcc should be default. apt-get doesn't have everything...

poofyhairguy
February 3rd, 2005, 08:17 PM

There is nothing to fix. GCC is a supported package thats VERY easy to install.

The members of whatever community you were dealing with need to get off their high horse. Installing programs from source sucks unless you are used to it, and one day it will most definately be the way only a MINORITY of Linux users will install software.

They need to understant that as Windows rots apart at its core, it means that the hordes will come one day. The common user. The people that don't care about OSS philosophy. The people that refuse to install programs from source because its the harder way to do it (I'm included in this latter group- been using Linux ever since Warty released and I have gone out of my way to not find out how to install programs from source code.)

The elitism of such communities and the whole "Linux should be for nerds" crowd proves that many people have a lot of growing up to do.

python
February 3rd, 2005, 08:21 PM
I wish people wouldn't say n00b so much. It's such a rubbish word. Reminds me of little kids playing Half-Life or something.