PDA

View Full Version : Proprietary software: The ancient standard

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 04:48 AM
If anybody wants to know what the future is, it's FOSS.

Proprietary software, hardware, or anything is really an ancient concept. Methods to protect one's fortune date back thousands of years, perhaps as old as money. Criticize all you want, but proprietary software is regression.

The future of all goods lies in the open source model. Even though it's relatively new - dating back only to the late 1980's - it is the future of economics. It is what is destined to drive the economy in the digital age. Oh, and it's innovative.

Open source is really the idea that all property must be shared - and shared among the people. In open source, everybody has full access to the product. Everybody can make changes, copy, and redistribute. They have plenty of rights that proprietary software fails to give them.

The only thing that FOSS drives is world peace - and world peace indeed. It is designed to get rid of the one thing that's plaguing the world - greed. Greed is what's fueling proprietarism. It's what's allowing individuals to hog resources and hog money. This is what FOSS gets rid of.

Attack all you want, but this is the future.

Psumi
January 23rd, 2010, 04:49 AM
So basically,

We all have to switch to Intel graphics, right?

pwnst*r
January 23rd, 2010, 04:53 AM

Proprietary software, hardware, or anything is really an ancient concept. Methods to protect one's fortune date back thousands of years, perhaps as old as money. Criticize all you want, but proprietary software is regression.

The future of all goods lies in the open source model. Even though it's relatively new - dating back only to the late 1980's - it is the future of economics. It is what is destined to drive the economy in the digital age. Oh, and it's innovative.

Open source is really the idea that all property must be shared - and shared among the people. In open source, everybody has full access to the product. Everybody can make changes, copy, and redistribute. They have plenty of rights that proprietary software fails to give them.

The only thing that FOSS drives is world peace - and world peace indeed. It is designed to get rid of the one thing that's plaguing the world - greed. Greed is what's fueling proprietarism. It's what's allowing individuals to hog resources and hog money. This is what FOSS gets rid of.

Good luck with that, Sharon.

schauerlich
January 23rd, 2010, 04:53 AM
GNU is that way -------->

mikkie
January 23rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
==============================================

Scary, highly unlikely though.

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
Good luck with that, Sharon.

Correction: KENNY!!!!!!

RiceMonster
January 23rd, 2010, 05:08 AM
Correction: KENNY!!!!!!

It's best you just ignore pwnst*r, Joseph.

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 05:09 AM
KENNY for the last time!!!!!!!!!

JDShu
January 23rd, 2010, 05:11 AM
I'm completely confused here.

mikkie
January 23rd, 2010, 05:11 AM
=========================================

Who is Kenny, Britney?

pwnst*r
January 23rd, 2010, 05:12 AM

Who is Kenny, Britney?

Don't.

Giant Speck
January 23rd, 2010, 05:14 AM
I could swear you've said "for the last time" before. Guess you were lying.

Simon17
January 23rd, 2010, 05:15 AM
FOSS is the future and that future includes the replacement of Linux with the HURD.

Dharmachakra
January 23rd, 2010, 05:18 AM
FOSS is the future and that future includes the replacement of Linux with the HURD.

That would be true regression.

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 05:20 AM
kenny for the last time!!!!!!!!!

who is kenny, britney?

me!!

RiceMonster
January 23rd, 2010, 05:22 AM
me!!

Oh, so you're Britney?

mikkie
January 23rd, 2010, 05:24 AM
me!!
=============================================

OK, nice to meet you then, Brit. Hope you got a red skirt.

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Oh, so you're Britney?

I said I'm Kenny. Now Scram!!!!!

schauerlich
January 23rd, 2010, 05:32 AM
I'm going to call you Benny.

JDShu
January 23rd, 2010, 05:46 AM

Property rights are indeed old. No argument there.

Open source software is simply a public good. Nothing revolutionary in economics.

The last time some people thought that all property should be shared, people ended up with over sized mustard jars.

Econ 101: Greed is good.

The future is not now :(

Simon17
January 23rd, 2010, 06:19 AM
Is it the future yet?

schauerlich
January 23rd, 2010, 06:22 AM
Is it the future yet?

The future was yesterday, you missed it.

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 06:36 AM

Okay, now you're just being stupid. It's 5-10 years from now.

JDShu
January 23rd, 2010, 06:38 AM
-5 years?

Skripka
January 23rd, 2010, 06:39 AM

http://cinematropolis.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/backfuture_l.jpg

pwnst*r
January 23rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
-5 years?

lol

cariboo
January 23rd, 2010, 06:53 AM
I think everybody has had enough fun at k64's expense. This thread is closed.