PDA

View Full Version : Converted a relative to Linux.

MasterNetra
January 23rd, 2010, 04:19 AM
Today I got to put Mint Linux onto my sister-inlaws computer. Thus far they seem to be enjoying it...although sound doesn't work...on of those old Gateway labtops with 480MB of ram. Forgot to write down model number...doh! >.< Oh well she just uses it mainly for facebook and what not.

schauerlich
January 23rd, 2010, 04:25 AM
Cool story bro.

mikkie
January 23rd, 2010, 04:32 AM
Is that constant "converting" some kind of disease?

MasterNetra
January 23rd, 2010, 04:51 AM
Is that constant "converting" some kind of disease?

No, Windows XP was acting like crap. Mostly bogged down by McAFee I'd imagine and was having all kinds of trouble. So I suggested I could install Mint Linux and that it would be faster and that she wouldn't need to worry about virus, etc etc etc. She gave me the green light and I installed it. And thus far the only issue is that sound doesn't work. Mint can't seem to find a appropriate sound driver I think. Tried OSS and ALSA, won't use either to run audio.

bxcrx
January 23rd, 2010, 05:10 AM
I'm sure you'll hear from her at some point or another about the sound situation

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 05:18 AM
I had a similar experience. After installing Remote Desktop Web and enabling IIS on my Windows 7 Release Candidate installation (bad move by all means), I went through all kinds of trouble - mostly with slow Internet. It turned out also that my Kaspersky Antivirus was being constantly disabled when I installed it. In particular, the service was constantly stopped. I had to blame this on a very dangerous virus. So, I said the hell with Windows, I'm sticking with Linux.

In my case, the only thing that didn't work with my Mint installation was my TV tuner (ATI TV Wonder 650). Everything else, sound and Wi-Fi included, worked on my home-built PC.

MasterNetra
January 23rd, 2010, 05:33 AM
I sent her a message via facebook and she recently replied. Gave me the serial instead of model but I looked it up on Gateway's website and found it was a Gateway 3018GZ Notebook. I've posted a thread regarding this problem here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1388295

I'm sure you'll hear from her at some point or another about the sound situation

lol maybe.

trixman
January 23rd, 2010, 06:06 AM
Today I got to put Mint Linux onto my sister-inlaws computer. Thus far they seem to be enjoying it...although sound doesn't work...on of those old Gateway labtops with 480MB of ram. Forgot to write down model number...doh! >.< Oh well she just uses it mainly for facebook and what not.

nice story, a friend of mine is going to try linux mint also. from the website mint looks neat to use.

:D

MasterNetra
January 26th, 2010, 02:20 AM
nice story, a friend of mine is going to try linux mint also. from the website mint looks neat to use.

:D

It seems Mint 8 has been recieving a lot of "No Sound" type of threads. Probably should of install Mint 7 on her system...