PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] "Open with"-Menu filled with duplicates

Klaue
January 23rd, 2010, 04:01 AM
Hi there
I searched the forum, but the only similar thread I was able to find was no help..
When I right click on a random file and choose "open with"->"other application", my apps list is overloaded with duplicates. Some items in particular are there numerous times (for example, Hex Editor: 7 times).
Is there a way to clean this up? (the remove-button stays greyed out)

Ubuntu 9.10 - But I had that problem since 7.10 or so.

user1397
January 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hi there
I searched the forum, but the only similar thread I was able to find was no help..
When I right click on a random file and choose "open with"->"other application", my apps list is overloaded with duplicates. Some items in particular are there numerous times (for example, Hex Editor: 7 times).
Is there a way to clean this up? (the remove-button stays greyed out)

Ubuntu 9.10 - But I had that problem since 7.10 or so.
did this happen only after installing kubuntu-desktop side-by-side with your original ubuntu installation?

Klaue
January 23rd, 2010, 09:41 PM
No, I never installed kubuntu-desktop
The only KDE packets I have are those needed to run KDE-Programs like K3b

EDIT: The problem is not only with KDE programs - the multiple listed hex editor is, for example, ghex, a gnome utility

Klaue
January 27th, 2010, 03:29 AM
bump?

orangemoose
January 31st, 2010, 02:11 PM
I went to this directory and removed all the entries.

~/.local/share/applications/

That took care of MOST of the duplicates.

Still have not figured out how to get rid of the standard icon duplicate.

mister_playboy
February 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I went to this directory and removed all the entries.

~/.local/share/applications/

That took care of MOST of the duplicates.

Still have not figured out how to get rid of the standard icon duplicate.

Thanks for this fix! I've been screwing around with Wine and I was sick of seeing the 50 duplicate entries for rundll32, WinRAR, etc. :roll:

I really don't understand why the Remove button is grayed out... :?

lunatico
April 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks! Removing stuff from ~/.local/share/applications/ worked form me too. Annoying thing.

I also wonder why that remove button does not work. I tried opening nautilus as root but remove is still grayed out.

It must be some silly thing...

jasontan6
May 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I also tried removing things in ~/.local/share/applications, it got rid of most of the useless entries created when installing apps using Wine, but not some of the packages which i think were upgraded. At the moment i have 2 Brasero, 2 F-Spot and 2 Remote Desktop Viewer.

45acp
May 30th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I have the same, 2 Brasero, 2 F-Spot and 2 Remote Desktop Viewers, Can't figure out how to get rid of the duplicates.

bruwstout
July 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Same here with the 2 Brasero, 2 F-Spot and 2 Remote Desktop Viewer. Was there ever a fix found for this? This behavior started with Wine installation / removal.

Ubuntu 10.04

cheyo
October 26th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks, it worked for me, no more duplicated wine entries.

Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit, wine 1.2

Mike3
November 22nd, 2010, 03:23 AM
Seems to be even more duplicate entries in /usr/share/application. Tried to delete the extras. Seems to help a bit. Hopefully this helps somebody...
By the way, just go to a terminal & type in:

gksu nautilus /usr/share/applications
And just start deleting the duplicates. Seems to have fixed another half of the problem. You may have to reboot, though, or restart X.