PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] going to install vista with 9.10 installed first -plans

mr clark25
January 23rd, 2010, 03:06 AM
i am wanting to install windows vista, but already have ubuntu installed. i have 100gb of my HD left over, and wish to install it there. but, windows says that my hard rive is bad.

i think i can fix this temporarily by putting a "." in front of my "boot" file.

i think i will need to use the windows partitioner, because i can't format it as ntfs for some reason. (gparted) i would really like to use gparted (i dont trust the windows partitioner). the blank 100gb is recognized as "unknown". i think i should be able to use the "format to" to format it to ntfs, but it can't be clicked. any ideas on how to use gparted?

then, after windows is installed, i remove the "." from the linux boot file, and put a dot in front of the windows "boot" file, and boot into linux, and run "sudo update-grub".

i think all should be well then. (working linux & vista)

to me, this sounds like it should work. if anyone spots any flaws, please say so.

sorry if i am hard to follow at times.

presence1960
January 23rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
post a shot of your disk from gparted. Appications > Accessories > Take Screenshot.

mr clark25
January 23rd, 2010, 04:11 AM
here are two screenshots of gparted.

it seems odd to me that so many formatting options aren't "clickable"

presence1960
January 23rd, 2010, 04:15 AM
Do you have ntfsprogs installed? If not open a terminal and run
sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs

Then open gparted and ntfs should be an option to format to.

You can try deleting that sda1 first and creating a new partition from the unallocated space. But either way install ntfsprogs.

Another option is to leave that space after deleting sda1 as unallocated. The windows partitioner should recognize that and give you the option to either install to that or create a partition from the space to install to.

mr clark25
January 23rd, 2010, 04:57 AM
thanks! i now have 100gb of my hard drive partitioned as ntfs for windows.

now, does the dot (".") idea sound like a good one?

i think it should work (but will it?). i wont be able to get back here until Sunday, so ill check back then.

presence1960
January 23rd, 2010, 05:06 AM
thanks! i now have 100gb of my hard drive partitioned as ntfs for windows.

now, does the dot (".") idea sound like a good one?

i think it should work (but will it?). i wont be able to get back here until Sunday, so ill check back then.

That is not a good idea, you will not need to change anything concerning directories or file names. Install Windows. Windows will overwrite GRUB on the MBR. When the install is complete reboot and make sure windows boots fine. Then you are going to have to reinstall GRUB. If you don't know how post back. Installing it to the wrong place can cause more problems. You want to install it to MBR not a partition. Depending on which version of GRUB you have will determine which method you will use to reinstall GRUB.

mr clark25
January 24th, 2010, 10:39 PM
ok, i will do that. but, i have one question. (i should know this) what is MBR?

i think to re-install grub, i have to chroot into my system from a live usb, and run some commands. ill look up the commands if this is right.

windows will leave my Ubuntu partition alone, wont it?

presence1960
January 24th, 2010, 11:02 PM
ok, i will do that. but, i have one question. (i should know this) what is MBR?

i think to re-install grub, i have to chroot into my system from a live usb, and run some commands. ill look up the commands if this is right.

windows will leave my Ubuntu partition alone, wont it?

1. Windows will leave your other partitions alone providing you select only the NTFS partition for the windows install. Do not delete or format any partitions from the windows installer. You already have then created.

2. In most cases to reinstall GRUB you do not need to chroot. Let me know what version of GRUB you were using and I'll give you instructions/commands.

3. Without getting technical MBR = Master Boot Record. It is on the very beginning of the disk before the first partition. It is a place that houses your bootloader among other things. Every hard disk has an MBR.

mr clark25
January 24th, 2010, 11:41 PM
ok, thanks.

i have grub legacy running, but i have the option to chainload into grub2, which works fine. so, whichever is easier is what i will end up using (i think) which do you think i should use?

presence1960
January 25th, 2010, 12:03 AM
ok, thanks.

i have grub legacy running, but i have the option to chainload into grub2, which works fine. so, whichever is easier is what i will end up using (i think) which do you think i should use?

Personally I would recommend GRUB2. All the complaining and whining you hear about GRUB2 on the forums is mostly not because GRUB2 is "bad" but due to human nature. people are familiar with legacy GRUB and don't invest the time to learn about GRUB2. GRUB2 is very different but that does not make it "bad". But that is human nature- to resist change even if the thing you are clinging to is inferior. By clinging to the old there is a sense of control because no matter what the problems are with it, at least one knows what to expect. I am not saying Legacy GRUB is "bad", but with all the advances in hard disks, etc today Legacy GRUB will soon have to be buried.

Here are a couple links for you about GRUB2:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20.html

OrangeCrate
January 25th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Honestly, you might want to do a quick read of this, before you go much further...

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Karmic#Dual-Booting_Windows_and_Ubuntu

Vista and Windows 7 really, really, don't like to be installed second.

mr clark25
January 25th, 2010, 12:07 AM
ok, so i want to update to grub2 before i install vista, right? or would that not make any sense because its about to be wiped?

does this give me the go-ahead to install vista?

presence1960
January 25th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Honestly, you might want to do a quick read of this, before you go much further...

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Karmic#Dual-Booting_Windows_and_Ubuntu

Vista and Windows 7 really, really, don't like to be installed second.

I installed Vista OEM after Karmic, Sabayon & Lucid. I did it to get rid of XP. There was no problem reinstalling GRUB2 to MBR. See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
Note #11- subtitle #1- Reinstalling GRUB2 from Live CD

Most of the problems with GRUB2 that people rant about are because of ignorance about GRUB2. While there are a few issues still existing for the most part GRUB2 does what it is supposed to do. Just as for the most part Legacy GRUB does what it is supposed to. neither are perfect, but whether we like it or not Legacy GRUB is deficient when it comes to the advances with hardware and will be retired with Lucid going forward. Everyone must take the time to learn about GRUB2 which is not hard or else...

Besides when was the last time legacy GRUB was updated? So much for all those who want bleeding edge or the most current stuff.

That is a myth about windows not liking to be installed second. Are you telling me someone who has linux installed and wants to add Vista/7 must remove a perfectly good install to put windows first? That is a bunch of bolderdash! The only thing that happens when windows is installed after linux is GRUB is replaced on the MBR by windows bootloader. All you need to do to recover is boot the Live CD and reinstall GRUB to MBR. That windows must be installed first myth is one of the biggest fallacies perpetuated in this community. It continues to live on because those who shout it fail to investigate what really happens when you install windows after linux and what the simple- yes simple- fix is for that.

P.S. sorry if I am ranting but this is my biggest pet peeve in here. It is not meant for you personally. I am not attacking you but rather the faulty information.

presence1960
January 25th, 2010, 12:18 AM
ok, so i want to update to grub2 before i install vista, right? or would that not make any sense because its about to be wiped?

does this give me the go-ahead to install vista?

Install Vista.

OrangeCrate
January 25th, 2010, 12:53 AM
@ mr clark25,

Along with the first link I provided, it would be helpful to read this too...

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation#Changing_Windows_partitio n_sizes

mr clark25
January 25th, 2010, 02:08 AM
thanks for the links.

going to try to install vista now... wish me luck.

presence1960
January 25th, 2010, 02:11 AM
thanks for the links.

no luck is involved. prepare and have the knowledge. Then do it.

mr clark25
January 25th, 2010, 03:19 AM
i prepared, but something happened.

windows didn't like my hard drive, so i put the drivers&utilities disk in with the vista disk, and i got the same result. then, i tried to boot to ubuntu, and nothing happened at the bios screen. i think grub may have been killed.

i changed the boot order in my bios, so ill change it back and see if that fixes it.

windows gave me the following error:

"windows could not determine if this computer contains a valid system volume."

presence1960
January 25th, 2010, 03:24 AM
i prepared, but something happened.

windows didn't like my hard drive, so i put the drivers&utilities disk in with the vista disk, and i got the same result. then, i tried to boot to ubuntu, and nothing happened at the bios screen. i think grub may have been killed.

i changed the boot order in my bios, so ill change it back and see if that fixes it.

windows gave me the following error:

"windows could not determine if this computer contains a valid system volume."

why did you change the boot order? I thought you wanted to put windows on sda1 which was formatted to NTFS?

You never mentioned a second hard disk before either. I need to see exactly what you have on that machine. Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and use the link in my signature to download the Boot Info Script to the desktop. Once on desktop open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and run this command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

mr clark25
January 25th, 2010, 03:34 AM
i had to change the boot order because i had my hard drive set to boot first, and i have a windows disk.

whats really strange is that i can now boot into Ubuntu again. (changed the hard drive back to first) i think i have a faulty bios.

i think the bios bug might also be related to why i can't install windows.

presence1960
January 25th, 2010, 04:04 AM
i had to change the boot order because i had my hard drive set to boot first, and i have a windows disk.

whats really strange is that i can now boot into Ubuntu again. (changed the hard drive back to first) i think i have a faulty bios.

i think the bios bug might also be related to why i can't install windows.

exactly what happened when you tried to boot the windows install disk?

mr clark25
January 25th, 2010, 04:28 AM
it did what it was supposed to, up untill the partitionizer. it let me select the ntfs partition, and then i hit continue. then it said that the installetion was cancelled, and gave me that error message. ("windows could not determine if this computer contains a valid system volume.")

it all seems very odd to me.

presence1960
January 25th, 2010, 04:33 AM
it did what it was supposed to, up untill the partitionizer. it let me select the ntfs partition, and then i hit continue. then it said that the installetion was cancelled, and gave me that error message. ("windows could not determine if this computer contains a valid system volume.")

it all seems very odd to me.

Try this: Boot the windows install disk. At the partitioner highlight the NTFS partition and delete it. You may have to hit change/modify or something like that. Then create the NTFS partition (from the unallocated space) from the installer and try installing to it. Sometimes, not often windows does not recognize NTFS partitions created from gparted.

mr clark25
January 25th, 2010, 04:38 AM
ok, ill try that tomorrow. its time for bed now.

presence1960
January 25th, 2010, 04:42 AM
ok, ill try that tomorrow. its time for bed now.

kool, rest well!

OrangeCrate
January 25th, 2010, 01:49 PM
thanks for the links.

You're welcome, and good luck.

:)

mr clark25
January 25th, 2010, 11:16 PM
well, it was a bios bug. i fixed it by hitting F12 during startup (loads boot manager) and selected to boot from the cd instead of my hard drive.

so, it did take to the partition that i created with gparted.

now, what do i need to do to get grub back?

presence1960
January 26th, 2010, 12:02 AM
well, it was a bios bug. i fixed it by hitting F12 during startup (loads boot manager) and selected to boot from the cd instead of my hard drive.

so, it did take to the partition that i created with gparted.

now, what do i need to do to get grub back?

Boot the 9.10 Live CD and choose "try ubuntu without any changes". When the desktop loads open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and run
sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
This will mount your ubuntu / partition. Then in terminal run
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
This will put GRUB back on MBR. Reboot without the Live CD and when Ubuntu boots open a terminal and run
sudo update-grub
You should be good to go & next time you boot try booting windows.

mr clark25
January 26th, 2010, 12:06 AM
ok, will do when windows update gets done. its at 93% done downloading right now, so ill report back after i do that.

presence1960
January 26th, 2010, 12:12 AM
If you don't have a 9.10 Live CD do this. Boot the 9.04 Live CD and choose "try ubuntu without any changes". When the desktop loads open a terminal and do this:

1. Boot your computer up with Ubuntu CD
2. Open a terminal window or switch to a tty.
3. Type sudo grub. Should get text of which last line is grub>
4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0,4)".
5. Type "root (hd0,4)"
6. Type "setup (hd0)", to install GRUB to MBR
7. Quit grub by typing "quit".
8. Reboot and remove the bootable CD.

Boot into Ubuntu, open a terminal and run
gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
That is a lowercase L in .lst
Scroll down to here
### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

skip one line and add:

title Windows Vista
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Click Save on top toolbar & close file. Reboot & try booting to windows.
Reboot and try using the chainload to GRUB2 entry to check if GRUB2 works.
If you can successfully boot both OSs from the chainload to GRUB2 link for a couple days I would then upgrade to GRUB2 since it is all inplace. All you need to do is run this command from terminal
upgrade-from-grub-legacy
You may need to preface that command with sudo if it does not work. After this you will be on GRUB2 and will need a 9.10 Live CD to make repairs or adjustments.

mr clark25
January 26th, 2010, 02:13 AM
well, i got grub & ubuntu back, but now windows is gone. (grub didnt find it) it says 1.97 beta grub, so that means grub2, doesnt it?

when i run "sudo update-grub" i get this:

sudo update-grub
error: cannot open `/dev/sdc' while attempting to get disk size
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-17-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-16-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-16-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
mapdevfs: error while loading shared libraries: libdebian-installer.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
mapdevfs: error while loading shared libraries: libdebian-installer.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
done
looks to me like something is missing. i followed the first set of instructions you gave me since i have a 9.10 bootable USB.

i ran the boot info script again. maybe that will help. here it is:

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Grub 1.97 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive
in partition #5 for /boot/grub.
=> No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdf
sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System: Windows Vista
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ext3
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 9.10
Boot files/dirs: /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab
/boot/grub/core.img

sda6: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: swap
Boot sector info:

sdf1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs:

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30394 cylinders, total 488281250 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xa0000000

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sda1 * 2,048 209,711,103 209,709,056 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 209,712,510 488,279,609 278,567,100 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 419,425,083 485,355,779 65,930,697 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 485,355,843 488,279,609 2,923,767 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Drive: sdf ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sdf: 1977 MB, 1977614336 bytes
64 heads, 63 sectors/track, 957 cylinders, total 3862528 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sdf1 135 3,858,623 3,858,489 6 FAT16

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

/dev/sda1: UUID="37A74BB00D62AB25" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: UUID="430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda6: UUID="090437ab-200c-4fcd-a6fe-abf98e50de4a" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdf1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="6531-3036" TYPE="vfat"

=============================== "mount" output: ===============================

/dev/sda5 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/james/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=james)
/dev/sdf1 on /media/6531-3036 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda1 on /media/37A74BB00D62AB25 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,b lksize=4096)

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/menu.lst: ===========================

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
# grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
# grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
# and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 3

## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
#color cyan/blue white/blue

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'
# e.g. password topsecret
# password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
# password topsecret

#
# examples
#
# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1
#
# title Linux
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#

#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
## alternative=false
# alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
## lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
## e.g. lockold=false
## lockold=true
# lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
## altoptions=(recovery) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
## howmany=7
# howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
## memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
## can be true or false
# updatedefaultentry=false

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
## can be true or false
# savedefault=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title Chainload into GRUB 2
uuid 430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c
kernel /boot/grub/core.img

title ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
root

title When you have verified GRUB 2 works, you can use this command to
root

title complete the upgrade: upgrade-from-grub-legacy
root

title ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
root

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-17-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-17-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-17-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro single

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-16-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-16-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-16-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro single

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-15-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-15-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro single

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-14-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-14-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro single

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.28-16-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-16-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.28-16-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro single

title Ubuntu 9.10, memtest86+
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s /boot/grub/grubenv ]; then
have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ ${prev_saved_entry} ]; then
saved_entry=${prev_saved_entry}
save_env saved_entry
prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
fi
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=640x480
insmod gfxterm
insmod vbe
if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
# For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
# understand terminal_output
terminal gfxterm
fi
fi
if [ ${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=-1
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/white
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-17-generic" {
recordfail=1
if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi
set quiet=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro quiet splash
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-17-generic (recovery mode)" {
recordfail=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro single
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-16-generic" {
recordfail=1
set quiet=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro quiet splash
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-16-generic (recovery mode)" {
recordfail=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro single
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-15-generic" {
recordfail=1
set quiet=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro quiet splash
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-15-generic (recovery mode)" {
recordfail=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro single
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic" {
recordfail=1
set quiet=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro quiet splash
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic (recovery mode)" {
recordfail=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro single
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.28-16-generic" {
recordfail=1
set quiet=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro quiet splash
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.28-16-generic (recovery mode)" {
recordfail=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic root=UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c ro single
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

=============================== sda5/etc/fstab: ===============================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=430e8379-70a1-4e2c-a3da-e3762ef6c44c / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=090437ab-200c-4fcd-a6fe-abf98e50de4a none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

=================== sda5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ===================

214.7GB: boot/grub/core.img
214.7GB: boot/grub/grub.cfg
214.7GB: boot/grub/menu.lst
214.7GB: boot/grub/stage2
214.7GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-16-generic
214.7GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
214.7GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
214.7GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-16-generic
214.7GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-17-generic
214.7GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic
214.7GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
214.7GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic
214.7GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic
214.7GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic
214.7GB: initrd.img
214.7GB: initrd.img.old
214.7GB: vmlinuz
214.7GB: vmlinuz.old
=======Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive==============

sdb sdc sdd sde

presence1960
January 26th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Looks like your device.map has a sdc device in there. You don't have an sdc device so remove it from device.map

Open a terminal and run
gksu gedit /boot/grub/device.map
Remove the entry for sdc. Click save on top toolbar and close file. Try running command
sudo update-grub

P.S. If after the above it still does not work try running this in terminal
upgrade-from-grub-legacy

mr clark25
January 26th, 2010, 02:34 AM
i had to remove /dev/sdc and /dev/sdb from the device map.
i ran "sudo upgrade-from-grub-legacy" because it complained about permissions, but still got this:

$ sudo update-grub
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-17-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-16-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-16-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
done

presence1960
January 26th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I noticed from your mount output from your last boot info script that your vistta partition is mounted. Are you running those commands with sda1 mounted? I don't think it should make a difference but unmount it and run those commands.

Also take out the flash disk if you have it plugged in.

mr clark25
January 26th, 2010, 02:49 AM
tried that to, and it still didnt work. :(

presence1960
January 26th, 2010, 03:03 AM

I have never seen those error messages before. maybe you can try createing a custom entry for Vista. See the link here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

see #6 near bottom of #6 Manual windows entry.

I have to give my daughter a bath and read her a story. i will be back later to research this and maybe contact someone who may know what those errors are.

OrangeCrate
January 26th, 2010, 03:38 AM

Please go back, and read the links I provided from the Ubuntu Guide series, and do the installation as they suggested. I've done a half dozen dual boot setups for friends and family just in the last couple of months alone, and it always works for me.

Short version:

1. Backup your Home Folder (dragging the files and folders to a stick is probably the easiest way).

2. Use GParted from a Live CD to reformat the drive to NTFS.

3. Install a fresh copy of Vista.

4. Cut out a chunk of the hard drive (I always use 30 gig), to install Ubuntu in (follow the instructions from the links).

5. And finally, get a cold beverage of your choice, and enjoy your new dual booted computer.

Frankly, I think your grand experiment here, is going from bad to worse. But hey, that's just my opinion.

mr clark25
January 26th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Please go back, and read the links I provided from the Ubuntu Guide series, and do the installation as they suggested. I've done a half dozen dual boot setups for friends and family just in the last couple of months alone, and it always works for me.

Short version:

1. Backup your Home Folder (dragging the files and folders to a stick is probably the easiest way).

2. Use GParted from a Live CD to reformat the drive to NTFS.

3. Install a fresh copy of Vista.

4. Then cut out a chunk (I always use 30 gig), to install Ubuntu in.

5. Then get a cold beverage of your choice, and enjoy your new dual booted computer.

(Frankly, IMO, I think your grand experiment here, is going from bad to worse.)

that would be a lot more work than it sounds like :(
i have (mostly my parents) almost 30gb of data, and my parents wouldn't like me doing it that way. (risk)

for now, i still have what i started with, so it will work for now.

OrangeCrate
January 26th, 2010, 03:47 AM
that would be a lot more work than it sounds like :(
i have (mostly my parents) almost 30gb of data, and my parents wouldn't like me doing it that way. (risk)

for now, i still have what i started with, so it will work for now.

Fair enough. Then stick with what you guys are doing, and hopefully, it'll all work out. Not much more I can contribute here, so, good luck.

:)

mr clark25
January 26th, 2010, 03:59 AM
looks like its been reported on launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/os-prober/+bug/387093

looks like they fixed it by "temporarily removing /bin/mapdevfs", but im not to sure about that...

and found it again here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg1535727.html

presence1960
January 26th, 2010, 05:20 AM
looks like its been reported on launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/os-prober/+bug/387093

looks like they fixed it by "temporarily removing /bin/mapdevfs", but im not to sure about that...

and found it again here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg1535727.html

Ok, that is definitely a bug, but this is the first time I am hearing of it. I have installed Vista after Linux many times on my machine & for clients without a hitch. So try what the bug report says to do-"temporarily removing /bin/mapdevfs.

First I removed it from my system and ran sudo update-grub and it updated the grub.cfg successfully so it looks like no harm was done by removing mapdevfs from /bin and placing it in /home.

Open a terminal and run
gksu nautilus from Ubuntu.

When the root file browser opens highlight Filesystem in the left pane. Open the bin directory on the right. Find mapdevfs, right click on it and choose cut, then in filesystem open the home directory, then your user directory and right click and paste the file in home. Open a terminal and run
sudo update-grub and see what happens. If it detects windows or not return the file to bin with the same procedure that you used to move it.

I would also try updating Ubuntu as I read somewhere that the problem seemed to go away with updates.

mr clark25
January 26th, 2010, 02:13 PM
it worked!

found the vista kernel, and will now see if i can boot into vista.

booted into vista, and it works great!

thanks for the help!

presence1960
January 27th, 2010, 04:39 AM
it worked!

found the vista kernel, and will now see if i can boot into vista.

booted into vista, and it works great!

thanks for the help!

Glad you got it working. You really helped me out by finding that bug report. I had never heard of that bug before. Thanks!

presence1960
January 27th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Moral of the story: you do not have to install any windows OS first to create a dual boot setup! The notion that you must have windows installed first is one of the biggest fallacies propagated in this community.

Note that while we had a difficult time here that was not because windows was installed after linux, but rather it was caused by a bug in ubuntu. So it would not have mattered even if ubuntu was installed after windows- the bug still would have prevented sudo update-grub from detecting the windows installation unless you used the workaround from the bug report.