PDA

View Full Version : Petition to Wine Dev Team

alexandrius
January 22nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Hi, i want to ask WineHQ dev team to add function to Wine for installing patches, also create something like software center but for hacks and patches or just include all the patches and hacks into a wine build

stinger30au
January 22nd, 2010, 10:41 PM
then u need to be at the winehq web site where all the rest of the wine stuff is

http://www.winehq.org/:D

alex.rayu
January 22nd, 2010, 10:50 PM
I voted against. They can't make photoshop work well - they will be busy doing a software center.

alexandrius
January 22nd, 2010, 11:03 PM
Although i'm very new to Linux, i'm already thinking about going back
I can't find anything better in Linux, except Compiz and security

alex.rayu
The patches are fixing the problems!

AllRadioisDead
January 22nd, 2010, 11:15 PM

alex.rayu
Then go back. I'm not being mean, but you should use whatever OS works best for you. An OS is an OS, some people act like Linux is the holy grail, it's not.
Edit:
Ontopic, I think it would be a cool idea. However, I don't think it's something the wine team needs to waste resources on.

Psumi
January 22nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
Some programs also require other programs to run (IE: MSXML) which can only be installed by winedoors or winetricks. A GUI should be in wine that can easily install these rather than just to list them as installed. (Yes, I know PlayOnLinux can install some of these, but I'd rather have it integrated.)

Techsnap
January 23rd, 2010, 12:21 AM
Let them work on the core functionality of WINE before dealing with addons.

alexandrius
January 23rd, 2010, 08:20 AM
Techsnap
So you are the one from wine dev team. I think my idea is very usefull for wine and it's the first thing you must do with wine

If you do not do so, just release wine with patched source

oedipuss
January 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
For these patches not to be included by default, it must mean they cause some sort of longterm problem.
It would complicate things if every wine user had the option of running a potentially entirely different build of wine. At least with winetricks, you can use a clean prefix.

Not to mention that there's no guarantee of version compatibility. All patches included in that installer would have to be maintained against every wine release, which would complicate things even more.

Chances are when there's an acceptable solution, the functionality you want will be included in wine.

PS: If there's a way to have more than one wine versions installed it would make things easier, but still..

Xbehave
January 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
but I'd rather have it integrated.
Because nothing says unix, like big programs that do everything, I prefer it how it is now

wine devs = work on wine
others = write installer

That way there are a few GUIs/CLIs/etc being worked on without wasting the time of the core devs

xxPHAROSxx
January 24th, 2010, 12:01 PM

alex.rayu

As mentioned, there is nothing wrong with your operating system of choice. :) If you decide to go back, I wish you the best.

When it comes to Wine, I try a few versions based on bug updates etc and how the programs I use function. I find a version and stick with it. Usually until I see updates that interest me.

Arthur_D
January 24th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Heard about PlayOnLinux? It sounds like it does what you want.