PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing uTorrent problems

S Man
January 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
I tried dling and installing uTorrent with the help of this site here. http://news.softpedia.com/news/uTorrent-under-Ubuntu-in-3-Easy-Steps-49037.shtml

I have downloaded wine and all that jazz, but when I click "Install" a couple minutes later I get a box that says "It appears uTorrent is already running. Please close all uTorrent processes and try again."

Anyone have an idea what I'm supposed to do?

falconindy
January 22nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
There's tons of torrent clients for Linux. Deluge, in particular, should make uTorrent users feel right at home.

Enigmapond
January 22nd, 2010, 11:23 PM
I have to agree. uTorrent is a good client....for *******, Deluge is a great client for Linux and if you need something a little lighter weight, Transmission, but the speeds I get with Deluge are 5x faster than I ever got using uTorrent.

Cheers...

ajgreeny
January 22nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
Transmission normally gives me downloads at the max of my phone line's broadband speed, so i suggest you look again at that.

S Man
January 23rd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Thank you for the replies guys. I looked under the Ubuntu Software Center and found Deluge so I installed it. Then I started up a torrent to try it out and it opened with Transmission. Are they the same thing or something? Transmission is working quite well I might add.

S Man
January 23rd, 2010, 07:38 AM
Thank you for the replies guys. I looked under the Ubuntu Software Center and found Deluge so I installed it. Then I started up a torrent to try it out and it opened with Transmission. Are they the same thing or something? Transmission is working quite well I might add.

ajgreeny
January 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
No, not the same things at all. What you need to do is right click on a torrent file and go to the "Open with" tab, where you can set deluge as the default. This is how to change the default programs to open any file type, by the way, so a good one to know about.

S Man
January 23rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks. I'll try that once my torrent finishes.