PDA

View Full Version : Apple Solutions and Ubuntu Solutions

LunaticHiatus
January 22nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
You know, I am no fan of apple but some of the problems that changing from one os to another was a hurdle apple had to go threw from windows users. Why doesn't ubuntu use similar solutions and actually a profit off it for a change?

For example, people love ipods but they dont know that ipods don't actually support a lot of formats. Itunes just converts the files over to a format Ipods can play.

Couldnt Ubuntu do something similar? Sell movies and music in the .ogg and .ogv format? Its not like like only apple is legally selling movies and music online.

At least that would bring in some profit for shuttleworth as well.

pwnst*r
January 22nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Y

For example, people love ipods but they dont know that ipods don't actually support a lot of formats. Itunes just converts the files over to a format Ipods can play.

It does? I didn't know that.

SuperSonic4
January 22nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah, it does. Or at least when I used windows I remember it complaining if the settings weren't perfect

juancarlospaco
January 22nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
Is planned to sell music on Ubuntu One...

pwnst*r
January 22nd, 2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah, it does. Or at least when I used windows I remember it complaining if the settings weren't perfect

So if I fed it a .flac file, it'll convert it to .mp3 or .mp4?

Chronon
January 22nd, 2010, 11:12 PM
Yes. You have to tell iTunes your encoder settings and all unsupported formats get transcoded accordingly. You can choose ALAC, however, if you want lossless.

Incidentally, Amarok 1.x used to offer on-the-fly transcoding for portable devices.

carjack
January 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
In Windows iTunes is utter rubbish yet perfect on a Mac, it's the same scenario with Quicktime.:confused:

pwnst*r
January 22nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
In Windows iTunes is utter rubbish yet perfect on a Mac, it's the same scenario with Quicktime.:confused:

How is it rubbish in Windows?

juancarlospaco
January 23rd, 2010, 12:08 AM
No iBuntu please

user1397
January 23rd, 2010, 12:37 AM
I had some mp3's and some wma's and all itunes did was change the wma's to aac's. it left the mp3's alone.

sudoer541
January 23rd, 2010, 01:40 AM

I have no problems with iTunes on windows at all.
its fast and it does the job.

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 02:30 AM
No iBuntu please

Agreed.

schauerlich
January 23rd, 2010, 02:44 AM
No iBuntu please

I hope Apple continues to shy away from the iNoun naming scheme in general.

Groucho Marxist
January 23rd, 2010, 02:46 AM
No iBuntu please

When iBuntu, iReboot. :D

zekopeko
January 23rd, 2010, 03:00 AM
So if I fed it a .flac file, it'll convert it to .mp3 or .mp4?

That is the task of your music player. Ideally you have music in a lossless format and the music player simply converts it to the format the iPod is expecting.

phawnex
January 23rd, 2010, 03:24 AM
I hope Apple continues to shy away from the iNoun naming scheme in general.

lol me 2. i own an iMac and love Apple, but the whole iNoun thing is getting old.

pwnst*r
January 23rd, 2010, 05:11 AM
Yes. You have to tell iTunes your encoder settings and all unsupported formats get transcoded accordingly. You can choose ALAC, however, if you want lossless.

Wrong.

That is the task of your music player. Ideally you have music in a lossless format and the music player simply converts it to the format the iPod is expecting.

lol, what?

k64
January 23rd, 2010, 05:26 AM
When iBuntu iKillProprietarySoftware.

schauerlich
January 23rd, 2010, 05:31 AM
When iBuntu iKillProprietarySoftware.

I'm going to be blunt, but I don't mean to be mean. It's just advice.

Please stop talking about how evil proprietary software is every other post. You are enthusiastic, that's great, but nobody cares and it's just annoying.