PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Packaging overwrite issues

AngelousAmore
January 22nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'm fairly new to the forums but I'm having some packaging issues. I follow the instructions given to both through the terminal and synaptic. First synaptic tells me to use the broken packages filter and when I use that this is the error I get

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/arc-brave_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/gdm/themes/Arc-Brave/logo.png', which is also in package ultimate-edition-themes 0
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/arc-human_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/gdm/themes/Arc-Human/logo.png', which is also in package ultimate-edition-themes 0
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/arc-wine_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/gdm/themes/Arc-Wine/logo.png', which is also in package ultimate-edition-themes 0
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/arc-wise_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/gdm/themes/Arc-Wise/logo.png', which is also in package ultimate-edition-themes 0

then from trying to bypass that error information I get this error in my terminal

The following NEW packages will be installed: arc-brave arc-human arc-wine arc-wise
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 53 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/1,570kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,265kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 554058 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking arc-brave (from .../arc-brave_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/arc-brave_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/gdm/themes/Arc-Brave/logo.png', which is also in package ultimate-edition-themes 0:0.0.7
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Unpacking arc-human (from .../arc-human_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/arc-human_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/gdm/themes/Arc-Human/logo.png', which is also in package ultimate-edition-themes 0:0.0.7
Unpacking arc-wine (from .../arc-wine_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/arc-wine_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/gdm/themes/Arc-Wine/logo.png', which is also in package ultimate-edition-themes 0:0.0.7
Unpacking arc-wise (from .../arc-wise_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/arc-wise_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/gdm/themes/Arc-Wise/logo.png', which is also in package ultimate-edition-themes 0:0.0.7
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/arc-brave_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/arc-human_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/arc-wine_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/arc-wise_2.7-1ubuntu1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Right now this issue is of course preventing me from doing any updates and installs on my system and its getting annoying. Any help would be much appreciated and the current operating Linux I'm running is "Ultimate Edition 2.5".

diesch
January 23rd, 2010, 01:01 AM
The arc-* packages contain some files that are also contained in the package ultimate-edition-themes so you can't have both installed. Either remove the arc-* packages or ultimate-edition-themes.

AngelousAmore
January 23rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
The arc-* packages contain some files that are also contained in the package ultimate-edition-themes so you can't have both installed. Either remove the arc-* packages or ultimate-edition-themes.
I understand removing one or the other however when I attempt to remove them through the terminal it regurgitates this You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
arc-colors: Depends: arc-brave but it is not going to be installed
Depends: arc-human but it is not going to be installed
Depends: arc-wine but it is not going to be installed
Depends: arc-wise but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

even after attempting to remove arc this really beginning to frustrate me I may just wipe out all my themes and then go from there but I'm trying to avoid that if possible. Is there someone to possible tell the system to ignore arc and its sub-groups and proceed with the rest?

diesch
January 23rd, 2010, 01:27 AM
You can use

apt-get remove arc-\*
to remove all packages starting with arc-

AngelousAmore
January 27th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks problem solved