PDA

View Full Version : Desktop-Switcher

shuu
January 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
I've got UNR on my Asus EEE 1005HA, and I've found out I don't like the menu thing, and would rather have a normal desktop. I found out there's this tool called desktop-switcher which would let me switch between the two, but that was for 8.10, I've got 9.10, and I tried apt-get and Synaptics.. neither have anything called a desktop-switcher. I did the secondary option, to kill the netbook-launcher and remove it from the start-up programs, but now I got a desktop good for nothing., it's still just a folder and I have to open it in folder-view. Could use some help with this. Would take a while to download the regular Karmic and clean install that instead.

EDIT:
Also, I've got trouble with maximized programs as there is no upper bar I can't close them without right-clicking the icon on the bar to choose close, and the fullscreen is also hidden behind the bottom panel, hiding buttons that are at the bottom of the window. Is that possible to solve or do I have to live with one panel?

timmyhiggy
January 23rd, 2010, 01:35 AM
I'm no expert on the matter, but I think that...

desktop-switcher was removed for 9.10 because it was quite buggy.
The only differences between ubuntu and UNR are the netbook-launcher, maximus and window-picker-applet, so disabling these 3 will give you normal ubuntu.

I wouldnt go doing it until you research it and hear it from another source though, I'm quite a Linux n00b...

mister_playboy
January 24th, 2010, 04:09 PM
You don't want Desktop-Switcher anyway. I had to rebuild my desktop after the Switcher messed up, leaving it blank. :( This was on 9.04.