PDA

View Full Version : If you had to spill something on your Ubuntu laptop, what would it be?

BETATEST
January 22nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Okay, as all my friends and significant other already know, I spill at least one glass of something every month. It's become such a bad inside joke, they bought me a tipsy mug.

I'm just curious, what have you spilled on your laptop or keyboard?

I will admit, the messiest for me was upsetting a McDonalds Caramel Frappe on a company laptop at lunch once. And yes, it totally fubar'd the keyboard. :^) And I had to put up with a month of "sticky keyboard" jokes from coworkers.

k64
January 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Nothing. I normally am smart enough to drink away from the computer. If I was stupid enough to make that mistake, it would be Mountain Dew.

RaZe42
January 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
liquid nitrogen. Don't ask. ( Yes, it did work afterwards )

Psumi
January 22nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
A big batch of, "How to Give a Care About Users."

k64
January 22nd, 2010, 06:32 PM

Yea. What did it do? Freeze? I bet it did, and you had to superclock it to get it to work.

Tristam Green
January 22nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Nothing. I normally am smart enough to drink away from the computer. If I was stupid enough to make that mistake, it would be Mountain Dew.

Apply liberally.

nice. Except you don't spill liquid nitro on it, I'd think. Seems like you'd dunk *it* in liquid nitro

Yea. What did it do? Freeze? I bet it did, and you had to superclock it to get it to work.

SUPERCLOCK

ankspo71
January 22nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
LOL. I once spilled hot chicken noodle soup on my keyboard (and my lap) because the hot bowl burned all my fingers. It shorted out the keyboard and made my computer beep nonstop. Luckily this isn't a laptop. I will never eat something like that near any computer ever again.

PS. Don't eat in the dark if you have a habit of setting your glass down on top of something that causes it to spill. :P Just a wild guess.

TheNessus
January 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
I have spilled hot coffee on my dad's X-something IBM lappy... some Centerino dual core that costs like 3000$ (in 2005). Of course it was windows XP so this computer had it coming. (It of course survived and is still serving my dad well, it IS an IBM, you know.)

I have spilled nothing on my lappy which is running Ubuntu; it has good Karma :P

Chronon
January 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
nice. Except you don't spill liquid nitro on it, I'd think. Seems like you'd dunk *it* in liquid nitro

Nah, you can perfectly well spill liquid nitrogen on something.

fromthehill
January 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
I never drink near my laptop so if I'd spill some kind of liquid over my keyboard I probably wouldn't want anyone to know about it :P

Tristam Green
January 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
Nah, you can perfectly well spill liquid nitrogen on something.

That's one heck of a foul-up then. I'd be scared out of my wits if I were to spill liquid nitro :|

Chronon
January 22nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Meh. It's not that big of a deal, really. You can carry it around in a thermos or insulated cup. Brief contact is generally not dangerous to you or other warm objects due to the Leidenfrost effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect). I have intentionally poured it on my trouser leg before.

Marvin666
January 22nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
I've stuck my had in a bowl of liquid nitrogen before, and nothing happened.The most likely thing to be spilt was pepsi, but the only spill accident I've ever had was with water. The laptop went insane, so I stripped it down to the motherboard, dried it out, and put it back together. It worked perfectly afterwards.

Ric_NYC
January 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Gold and diamonds.

Mahngiel
January 22nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
liquid c4 with a 3 day fuse delay. that's when my parts from newegg show up and i get to rid myself of this '03 lappy which has served it purpose well.

SuperSonic4
January 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Water

Roland TD-12 Rat
January 22nd, 2010, 10:10 PM
On my Dell Vostro!!!?
Molten gold my friend :-)

Red_Unix
January 22nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Vegetable oil

pricetech
January 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
A can of vacuum. (left over from years ago when I was a mechanic)

Gallahhad
January 22nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
I spilled beer on my Avaratec laptop once, it totally fried the keyboard. Fortunately nothing got down below the keyboard so a quick trip to ebay, and a c-note later, and I was back up and rolling.

sandyd
January 23rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
a bowl of cereal + milk.
I was reading tweets in the band trailer last year while we where driving and we hit a bump.
keyboard didn't take much damage as it was a spill-resistant hp probook. Only the "R" didn't work and that was fixed quickly by detaching the keyboard and leaving it on the heater. Laptop to this day still works ;)