PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update troubles

Alex De Duck
January 22nd, 2010, 12:49 PM
I had this little danger triangle up top, saying the system was outdated, so I ran over to administration and ran the update manager. Everything downloaded, but installing didn't work:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

And the sudo dpkg --configure -a gave me this:

dpkg: dissection error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000' near line 4 package 'xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse':
EOF after field line `Installed-S'

(Note, this is a rough translation, it first said: dpkg: ontleedfout, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000' near line 4 package 'xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse':
EOF na veldnaam `Installed-S' because for some reason Ubuntu's half Dutch for me. I would prefer it to be all in English, but hey, I speak Dutch so there's no trouble there.)

Any ideas?

plucky
January 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM
I had this little danger triangle up top, saying the system was outdated, so I ran over to administration and ran the update manager. Everything downloaded, but installing didn't work:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

And the sudo dpkg --configure -a gave me this:

dpkg: dissection error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000' near line 4 package 'xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse':
EOF after field line `Installed-S'

(Note, this is a rough translation, it first said: dpkg: ontleedfout, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000' near line 4 package 'xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse':
EOF na veldnaam `Installed-S' because for some reason Ubuntu's half Dutch for me. I would prefer it to be all in English, but hey, I speak Dutch so there's no trouble there.)

Any ideas?

It seems you had a problem installing the xserver-xorg update.

From a terminal
cd /var/lib/dpkg/updates/
ls ls will show you what files are there,you can remove all the files in that directory as it is temporary storage for the updater.

Then
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Good Luck

Alex De Duck
January 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
I get permission denied trying to delete these files... They're mosty 4 digit numbers going from 0000 to 0055 and tmp.i. And yes, I have administrative rights on the system.

plucky
January 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
I get permission denied trying to delete these files... They're mosty 4 digit numbers going from 0000 to 0055 and tmp.i. And yes, I have administrative rights on the system.

Use
sudo rm -i * but make sure you are in the correct directory.The -i will allow interaction.

Good Luck

Alex De Duck
January 22nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
I think that did it, thanks!