PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft tax refund is still alive and well

QwUo173Hy
January 22nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
At least in the UK. I saw this post here on the Ubuntu Network. I'll definitely try this next time I'm buying a laptop / desktop.

http://myubuntu.ning.com/forum/topics/i-got-l7799-microsoft-tax

Techsnap
January 22nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
It's not a tax, it's a price for their product which is installed on the computer. You can get a refund for the PRICE of the product, but you're not paying any taxes.

Hyporeal
January 22nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
It's not a tax, it's a price for their product which is installed on the computer. You can get a refund for the PRICE of the product, but you're not paying any taxes.

The "tax" is a metaphor referring to an extra cost with no benefit inherent to the product. The intent is to disparage OEMs for including an unwanted Windows license in the price of a computer. It is not to be taken as a literal tax.

alphaniner
January 22nd, 2010, 03:57 PM
Where do I go to return the discounts I received courtesy of the manufacturers of bundled demos/trialware?

xir_
January 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
i got an acer refund only a couple days ago, i chronicled it all on the forums over the last 4 months if you have quick search.

xir_
January 22nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Where do I go to return the discounts I received courtesy of the manufacturers of bundled demos/trialware?

from the look of recent court judgements you can get money for that stuff being returned in France.

Simian Man
January 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM

+1. I love buying computers with Windows + toolbars + trial versions of every product under the sun. It keeps prices low and I wipe the disk anyway :).

LowSky
January 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry but fighting over >$100 over 4 months is not worth it. At least to me. If it bothers you so much don't buy a PC with Windows installed. Less time wasted arguing with customer service reps and you dont buy what you don't want.

AllRadioisDead
January 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry but fighting over >$100 over 4 months is not worth it. At least to me. If it bothers you so much don't buy a PC with Windows installed. Less time wasted arguing with customer service reps and you dont buy what you don't want.

Agreed.

ricegf
January 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
While getting a refund on the infamous "Microsoft Tax" can feel fun and exciting, let me encourage you to instead support the trend of pre-installed Linux by buying Ubuntu-based computers from Dell, System76, Zareason, etc. This has the *pratical* benefit of padding their coffers - a strong incentive for their continued expansion of Ubuntu-based product lines. I did. Love my Starling!

QwUo173Hy
January 22nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
With the selection of computers shipped with Ubuntu quite low at the moment, this still remains a good option. Those of us who don't live in the US can't avail of, for example, System 76. The Dell selection is quite low too. I choose my hardware first and my OS second - not the other way around.

I would also argue that the reason that the refund process is so lengthy is because not enough people are doing it to warrant suppliers implementing a standard procedure.

xir_
January 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM

depends, i just sent an email ever few mornings arguing my point and i eventually won. Wasn't that much hassle.

evans5000
February 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
I've just bought a Toshiba NB200-10Z Netbook, and rejected the Windows XP licence, installed Ubuntu NR, all with photos taken along the way. I emailed Toshibia Computers UK with a standard letter. Their response was :

Thank you for your email. We are sorry to hear that you didn't like the operating
system provided with your netbook.

Microsoft's End User License Agreement state's that you can contact the manufacturer
to find out there returns policy but Toshiba does not have a returns policy for the
operating system. Unfortunately Toshiba do not accept the return of the software provided with the
netbook so we would be unable to process a refund for you.

Any suggestions of how to proceed from here? I used a modified letter that a fella used to sucessfully get a refund from Dell UK. However, this is Toshiba, and digging around the web reveals very little current info about Linux refunds with Toshiba.

MooPi
February 3rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
I have queried Dell on several occasions trying to get a refund quote. No dice with Dell at least in the USA. My complaint is that they offer Ubuntu on the least vavorable model hoping you'll upgrade to the more expensive with a Windows install. Point of example is the Vostro V13 model. The least expensive model comes only with an Celeron CPU with the successive models using Core 2 solo and dou CPU's and a Windows install. Dell does not support Ubuntu on these models and will not send them without an OS either. Grrrr.

aysiu
February 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
I've just bought a Toshiba NB200-10Z Netbook, and rejected the Windows XP licence, installed Ubuntu NR, all with photos taken along the way. I emailed Toshibia Computers UK with a standard letter. Their response was :

Thank you for your email. We are sorry to hear that you didn't like the operating
system provided with your netbook.

Microsoft's End User License Agreement state's that you can contact the manufacturer
to find out there returns policy but Toshiba does not have a returns policy for the
operating system. Unfortunately Toshiba do not accept the return of the software provided with the
netbook so we would be unable to process a refund for you.

Any suggestions of how to proceed from here? I used a modified letter that a fella used to sucessfully get a refund from Dell UK. However, this is Toshiba, and digging around the web reveals very little current info about Linux refunds with Toshiba. You have a legal right to demand a refund from them. It's really just a matter of how much you're willing to fight for it. Are you willing to go to court over it? Do you have a lawyer? How much money are you willing to pour into getting a refund?

I am not a fan of this whole Windows refund business.

I would recommend people who don't want Windows either 1) buy Linux preinstalled or 2) buy Windows and just erase it. If you want to make a big stand on principle, do #1. If you want the widest selection of laptops and netbooks, go with #2.