PDA

View Full Version : Joomla Users

Techsnap
January 22nd, 2010, 10:10 AM
Just wondering if anyone else here uses Joomla and what they think of it.

I've been using Joomla for about a year and a half now and I'm very impressed with it, there's a bit of a learning curve but IMO it's pretty logical once you've got the site up and running.

I'm very impressed so far anyway especially with the amount of extensions available, I haven't tried making my own theme yet because that does look complicated, for now I Just edit JA_Purity or RHUK_Milkyway.

user1397
January 22nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Just wondering if anyone else here uses Joomla and what they think of it.

I've been using Joomla for about a year and a half now and I'm very impressed with it, there's a bit of a learning curve but IMO it's pretty logical once you've got the site up and running.

I'm very impressed so far anyway especially with the amount of extensions available, I haven't tried making my own theme yet because that does look complicated, for now I Just edit JA_Purity or RHUK_Milkyway.I have not tried it yet, though I plan to shortly.

Dragonbite
January 22nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
I don't use Joomla, but have been jsut getting into Drupal and am curious about the advantages and dissadvantages of the two systems.

I think I read it somewhere that Joomla is like Ubuntu (easier to set up) while Drupal is like Fedora (more scalable platform, mroe hand-tweaking).

madnessjack
January 22nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Had a go with Drupal recently and it's okay and did the job. Takes time to get into these things.

Joomla, for me, is just too big. Too much going on, too many extensions that I wouldn't use. Maybe there's a way to get a minimal install down and build on it. Then again, except blogging, I've never needed to use a CMS :P

squilookle
January 22nd, 2010, 03:56 PM
I have Joomla running on my test server, and so far it seems quite good. I'm currently playing with creating themes for it.

Otherwise, I tend to write stuff myself without CMS.

Is Drupal worth a try? I might give that a go next.

madnessjack
January 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Is Drupal worth a try? I might give that a go next.
If you got the time, go for it :P

It looked very minimal (in a good way) but the dev side confused me. I'll read into it someday.

DeadSuperHero
January 22nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
I've used it since 2006 on various things. It's an alright CMS, definitely has a learning curve to it. You can set up a quite nice community site, though it's a bit much for things like personal websites. (to which I would recommend either Drupal, or just a simple Wordpress really)

One of the big selling points of Joomla is also the fact that it can integrate databases with certain types of forums. (For example, I recall it being able to integrate with phpbb3)

The only thing I dislike about it is that the administration interface is a bit of a kludge at first when you're trying to organize/create new content.

aklo
January 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
If you are good with CSS, Customizing Joomla will be easy, just get use to how it works.

For even professional editing the template, you will need good knowledge of PHP to either make things work the way you want or even writing your own plugins.

I'll say just read of some books or video tutorial on the backend interface and get familiarize with the interface.

lovinglinux
January 22nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
I have been using Joomla for several years and designed a couple of modules for the old version, although I have dropped their development when Joomla 1.5 was released.

It is the best CMS in my opinion. It has a steep learning curve, but once you get used to it, is pretty easy.

ticopelp
January 22nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
It's really powerful, but sometimes a little counterintuitive. Even adding a simple link to a sidebar can be way more work than it needs to be.

I use Joomla for a couple of business Web sites, and it's very solid. I think my only complaint is that there are far too many plugins, and too few of real quality. When I needed a simple mp3 player I had to download 10 feature-heavy bloated ones before I found the right one.

Joomla is a really great CMS... but unless you're running a fairly complex site, though, it's like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly.

lovinglinux
January 22nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
It's really powerful, but sometimes a little counterintuitive. Even adding a simple link to a sidebar can be way more work than it needs to be.

I use Joomla for a couple of business Web sites, and it's very solid. I think my only complaint is that there are far too many plugins, and too few of real quality. When I needed a simple mp3 player I had to download 10 feature-heavy bloated ones before I found the right one.

Joomla is a really great CMS... but unless you're running a fairly complex site, though, it's like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly.

I have to agree. Not the best choice for a simple personal site.

lovinglinux
January 27th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I have a confession to make...I just switched my personal web sites to WordPress. It's much easier to maintain than Joomla and has some really nice plugins. I'm really impressed.

Techsnap
January 27th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I've played with WordPress a few times, but it's just not as extensive as Joomla, I can't get WordPress to do what I want it to basically.

lovinglinux
January 27th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I've played with WordPress a few times, but it's just not as extensive as Joomla, I can't get WordPress to do what I want it to basically.

I agree. For a powerful CMS site, Joomla would be my choice. Nevertheless, WordPress fits nicely in my Firefox extension site, because I just need a couple of pages describing the extension, some screenshots, download links and news about releases.

Techsnap
February 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I've had a look at the pre-release Joomla 1.6 stuff, it's looking really impressive as usual. It will be awesome when this is released.