PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Sound doesn't work on boot till alsa is reloaded

lgp171188
January 22nd, 2010, 06:47 AM
I have been experiencing this peculiar issue with Ubuntu 9.10. Whenever the system boots, the audio doesn't work but when I do a 'sudo alsa force-reload', the volume icon gets muted and on unmuting it the audio works. This is the information regarding the audio device I get on doing lspci

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

Any ideas what could be causing this issue and how to resolve this?

VertexPusher
January 22nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
I have the same issue occasionally. My computer has three ALSA devices (onboard soundcard, webcam microphone, MIDI interface). Usually the onboard card is card 0 and the webcam mic is card 1, but sometimes the order is mixed up, and then I have to run "sudo alsa force-reload" to make sound work.

Do you have more than one ALSA device? You can check this by running "aplay -l" and "arecord -l" and "amidi -l".

lgp171188
January 22nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
I have the same issue occasionally. My computer has three ALSA devices (onboard soundcard, webcam microphone, MIDI interface). Usually the onboard card is card 0 and the webcam mic is card 1, but sometimes the order is mixed up, and then I have to run "sudo alsa force-reload" to make sound work.

Do you have more than one ALSA device? You can check this by running "aplay -l" and "arecord -l" and "amidi -l".
This is what I get when I do aplay -l

guru@guru-laptop:/etc/init.d$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]

My question is why am I having the same card number for my sound card and the Modem?
And is this causing the problem? How to rectify it?

VertexPusher
January 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
This is what I get when I do aplay -l
Looks normal. Is this the result before or after reloading ALSA?

My question is why am I having the same card number for my sound card and the Modem?Because the modem is part of the sound card.

And is this causing the problem?No, unless PulseAudio somehow mistakes device 6 for device 0. But that would be a PulseAudio bug, not an ALSA bug. It's perfectly normal for ALSA cards to have several devices and subdevices. In a pure ALSA setup (i.e. without PulseAudio), the first device of the first soundcard will be selected as the default playback and recording device for all applications.

lgp171188
January 22nd, 2010, 09:27 AM
Before alsa reload, immediately after boot, this is what aplay -l shows

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
Subdevices: 0/1

I can see that now Modem is listed as Subdevices: 0/1 instead 1/1 which was the output after force-reloading alsa.

josvanr
January 22nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
I've also been having this probelm since this morning (not after update??) but I did change the output volume yesterday in 'sound preferences' Now if I reboot there is no sound until 'alsa force-reload'..

VertexPusher
January 22nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
I can see that now Modem is listed as Subdevices: 0/1 instead 1/1 which was the output after force-reloading alsa.
Interesting. I'll take a closer look at my aplay output when the problem occurs again. I always blamed the card renumbering, but you have only one card, so maybe there's a bug in ALSA or the HDA driver that causes the subdevice initialization to fail.

Can you disable the modem in your BIOS setup? Maybe that is sufficient as a workaround until the bug is fixed.

lgp171188
September 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Interesting. I'll take a closer look at my aplay output when the problem occurs again. I always blamed the card renumbering, but you have only one card, so maybe there's a bug in ALSA or the HDA driver that causes the subdevice initialization to fail.

Can you disable the modem in your BIOS setup? Maybe that is sufficient as a workaround until the bug is fixed.
This issue is no longer reproducible in recent versions of Ubuntu that I have upgraded to. Hence marking this as solved. Thanks.