PDA

View Full Version : iTablet running Ubuntu???

Sheetrokker
January 22nd, 2010, 03:58 AM
I found an article that claims it's possible, but I'm new to Ubuntu (and linux) so I have no idea if this is just speculation or not:

http://www.limux.biz/article.pl?title=apple_tablet_ubuntu_mod

However I am in the market for a travel computer, and if this is true I may be willing to wait on my netbook purchase...

pwnst*r
January 22nd, 2010, 04:03 AM
spam

AllRadioisDead
January 22nd, 2010, 04:04 AM
Why would you ever want to? Gnome has no tablet support.

Ric_NYC
January 22nd, 2010, 05:07 AM
Buy a tablet and get a free bottle of Windex...

:)

Islington
January 22nd, 2010, 05:33 AM
Why would you ever want to? Gnome has no tablet support.

things like moblin do.

AllRadioisDead
January 22nd, 2010, 05:34 AM
things like moblin do.
Moblin != Ubuntu

Docaltmed
January 22nd, 2010, 05:39 AM
I've been running Ubuntu on an HP tablet for a year now. Handwriting recognition is better than what I had on Vista. Screen rotation, the whole nine yards. Wouldn't trade it for an iTablet if you paid me.

schauerlich
January 22nd, 2010, 05:40 AM
...They're basing this on someone's mockup of a tablet? They do know Apple hasn't confirmed the tablet's existence yet, much less released photos, right?

Skripka
January 22nd, 2010, 05:41 AM
...They're basing this on someone's mockup of a tablet? They do know Apple hasn't confirmed the tablet's existence yet, much less released photos, right?

You and your pathetic little facts don't stop people from writing about how ChromeOS is better than linux due to KDE/Gnome infighting. :D

AllRadioisDead
January 22nd, 2010, 05:50 AM
I've been running Ubuntu on an HP tablet for a year now. Handwriting recognition is better than what I had on Vista. Screen rotation, the whole nine yards. Wouldn't trade it for an iTablet if you paid me.
What do you use, cellwriter?

3rdalbum
January 22nd, 2010, 05:56 AM
Nobody even knows if there IS a tablet. If there is, it won't run Ubuntu. It'll run some laughable Apple operating system.

Islington
January 22nd, 2010, 05:59 AM
Moblin != Ubuntu

ubuntu moblin remix

but nevermind that People here seem to be confusing this tablet to be like the tablets we own, which are pen sensitive fully functional laptops.
This apple tablet, in my prediction, will mainly be for consuming media/files rather than creating them. :popcorn: I hope I am wrong when they announce it whenever.

AllRadioisDead
January 22nd, 2010, 06:05 AM
Nobody even knows if there IS a tablet. If there is, it won't run Ubuntu. It'll run some laughable Apple operating system.
OS X is hardly laughable, it'll probably run a modded version of it.
Of course it will be able to run Ubuntu, why wouldn't it?

Sheetrokker
January 22nd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Well I think I will hold off on my purchase at least until next week and see what the verdict is--can't hurt. I realize the article is erroneously looking at a mockup image, but it stands to reason that the thing will at least have a USB port, I'm sure.

spupy
January 22nd, 2010, 12:12 PM

iPhone doesn't run linux very well <= lack of drivers. If drivers are made, ubuntu will run. It depends on what hardware they stuff in. (I assume it will be custom, not standard laptop guts; resulting in no drivers at the start.)

3rdalbum
January 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM

Mac OS X is pretty laughable - it's very badly designed, especially if you look at security and privacy.

Yeah, sorry... I meant it won't ship with Ubuntu.

humphreybc
January 22nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
Does anyone really care about Apple? Anyone, really?

3rdalbum
January 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
If nobody bought tablets running Windows, why would they buy tablets running the iPhone OS or desktop OS X?

pwnst*r
January 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
And why would they buy them with *nix on it?

Skripka
January 22nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
If nobody bought tablets running Windows, why would they buy tablets running the iPhone OS or desktop OS X?

Because people will buy any crap so long as it is Shiny and made by Apple.

t0p
January 22nd, 2010, 02:15 PM

Because it's by Apple? There are a lot of people who *love* Apple's products. Don't ask me why - but they're out there.

As for the "fact" that "nobody bought tablets running Windows"... that's neither here nor there. How many smart phones running Windows CE are available? Very few. Yet the iPhone sells very well; and now Android phones are shifting in large numbers.

NCLI
January 22nd, 2010, 03:43 PM

Quoted for infinite truth.

Docaltmed
January 29th, 2010, 02:17 PM
What do you use, cellwriter?

Yup. Faster than the handwriting recognition on Vista, as even after endless hours of "training," I still spent more time making corrections than I did writing.

Cellwriter is just a tad slower than writing cursive, but overall faster because there is no need to correct errors through a fat and stupid interface.

n0dix
January 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM

A big truth. :lolflag: