PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job as a volunteer radio DJ at the campus station

humphreybc
January 22nd, 2010, 03:46 AM
I've always secretly wanted to do some air time as a radio DJ. There's something awesome about choosing music for hundreds of people to listen to, not to mention ramble on about a whole heap of unrelated stuff.

So yesterday I applied at my Uni's radio station, Radio One. I recorded a ten minute voice sample with me reading some news bulletins, announcing songs and ad-libbing a few bits and pieces. I thought it sounded okay - I did Speech and Drama all through high school so I have a pretty fair speaking voice.

My boss at work also knows one of the people at the station, so he said he'd put in a good word. The only thing that I have working against me is my music tastes - they're not bad, in fact I think they're fairly good as I am a musician myself. But I think they won't be alternative enough for Radio One, which prides itself on playing the weirdest and rarest music ever!

So, with all that in mind, does anyone have any advice for a potential DJ newbie?

gletob
January 22nd, 2010, 04:51 AM
Talking is fine but limit it to short burst's. NO LONG RANTS!!! That's the best way to lose listeners.