PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No mp3 playback in Rhythmbox

TheGambit
January 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM
When i try to play mp3 files in totem and rhythmbox they don't play.
I downloaded vlc...and the files are playing fine...but how to play the mp3 files in rhythmbox and totem player??

I am a newby.
I am usnig ubuntu 9.10

ron999
January 21st, 2010, 10:09 PM
Hi
For Rhythmbox to play mp3 files it needs a codec to be installed using Synaptic Package Manager.
The one to install is:-
gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3

Andry87
January 22nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
Thx. alot... i already forget too how to with mp3 rhythmbox..

TheGambit
January 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hi
For Rhythmbox to play mp3 files it needs a codec to be installed using Synaptic Package Manager.
The one to install is:-
gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3

Thanks a lot dude!!:)

Also..if u can sort out my other problem...

I have external sound card of fortemedia FM801 5.1 channel.

it used to play perfectly well in ubuntu 6, but...after i installed ubuntu 9...distorted sound comes or no sound sometimes....i checked other forums for driver problems but all in vain...if u could help me..!!

motsteve
January 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
What I always forget is that Karmic always is initialized with the volume control set to zero. I've been chagrined with that several times already.:P

sports.car.guy
January 22nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks a lot dude!!:)

Also..if u can sort out my other problem...

I have external sound card of fortemedia FM801 5.1 channel.

it used to play perfectly well in ubuntu 6, but...after i installed ubuntu 9...distorted sound comes or no sound sometimes....i checked other forums for driver problems but all in vain...if u could help me..!!

Do not use the Fluendo codec. Use the unrestricted MP3 Lame. Fluendo is a Linux sell out company who has signed proprietary agreements with the companies who do not want us to have the "Right to Free Use" guaranteed until recent years under most countries' laws.

Fluendo's goal is to have everyone of us need to purchase our codecs from them and only them if running Linux. Keep Open Source as the dominant supplier of codecs to Linux and keep the man out of our operating system.

TheGambit
January 28th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Do not use the Fluendo codec. Use the unrestricted MP3 Lame. Fluendo is a Linux sell out company who has signed proprietary agreements with the companies who do not want us to have the "Right to Free Use" guaranteed until recent years under most countries' laws.

Fluendo's goal is to have everyone of us need to purchase our codecs from them and only them if running Linux. Keep Open Source as the dominant supplier of codecs to Linux and keep the man out of our operating system.

I am new at Ubuntu...could u please direct me as to how to install unrestricted MP3 Lame!!

Thanks in advance!!:D