PDA

View Full Version : Tech Support Guys - What's in your CD case?

Roasted
January 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
Calling all tech guys who do any form of IT support. What's in your tool bag or CD case? I'm curious to know what tools you guys use in the field in hopes of maybe helping others or gaining some sort of insight on additional tools I could utilize that I'm not aware of.

I carry several CDs with me in my tool bag. I work in a Windows environment, but I use Linux-related tools for almost everything.

I carry a live CD of Xubuntu and Ubuntu, both 32 bit 9.10. I also carry a live CD of the latest GParted, SuperGrub, and Clonezilla LiveCD. I always have my 160gb external USB hard drive handy due to the fact that I often use it with Clonezilla to back up an image and then push it to another system who needs the same configuration.

LiveCDs of Ubuntu are great simply because I can boot and see what's up with a non-booting computer. Just yesterday I used it to find the file system must have somehow corrupted itself, because the ONLY thing on the hard drive was the WINDOWS folder. Nothing else. That's another thing I use my 160gb external hard drive for... if a system won't boot, but I can at least dig files off of it via LiveCD, I'll store them on my hard drive for safe keeping until the main issue can be figured out.

For mass cloning I use FOG, loaded on my Ubuntu 9.10 work laptop.

And as expected with a Windows environment, I also carry an XP Pro CD in case I need to do the occasional repair install.

What tools and utilities do you guys use?

myusername
January 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM
I use USB

humphreybc
January 21st, 2010, 09:23 PM
i use usb

+1

CharlesA
January 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM
I use a usb "multipass" most of the time.

I've got a bunch of junk on it:

Backtrack 4
Clonezilla
DBAN
Gparted
Hiren's BootCD
Knoppix 6.2
Trinity Rescue Kit
Ubuntu 9.10
Avira Rescue CD
Kaspersky Rescue Disk

Got a few others, but I don't really use them that much.

Roasted
January 21st, 2010, 10:05 PM
I posted a thread a while ago regarding this... but it didn't seem to shed too much light. It'd be nice to dump a ton of bootable ISOs onto 1 large flash drive and choose which one I want to boot to. Is that how you guys work it?

CharlesA
January 21st, 2010, 10:12 PM
It wasn't as simple as that for me. There's probably a easier way to do it, but the way I did it worked for me (Using GRUB4DOS).

deadalus.globalnode
January 21st, 2010, 10:15 PM
DSL
BackTrack 3
Ubuntu