PDA

View Full Version : How to turn off the laptop display instead of putting it to sleep

legolas_w
January 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hi

I have a thinkpad t400 and I am looking for a way to turn off the display sometimes like when I want to go to bed and let it play some music or download some torrent files.

I know that somehow the display turn off after some time, but I can not do it manually which is what I am looking to do.

Thanks.

deadalus.globalnode
January 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM
What kind of graphics card do you have?

whiskeylover
January 21st, 2010, 08:31 PM
Close the lid, and change the settings so that closing the lid does not put the laptop to sleep.

deadalus.globalnode
January 21st, 2010, 08:35 PM
The reason I asked about the graphics card is because many have a command to turn of the display but Whiskylover's solution is much simpler and probably better. As usual I thought of the hard way first :lolflag:

tgalati4
January 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Or just set the screensaver to a blank screen. The backlight will normally turn off by itself after 10 minutes or so. You can adjust it in the BIOS under power management settings.

Hitting FN-F3 (on my T43P) activates the "lock-screen" which blanks the screen then activates the screensaver (which could also be a blank screen) until you hit a key.

man xset

You could also write a script to use xset and force a dpms setting, then play your music for an hour, then put the machine to sleep. Set wake on BIOS time and automatically play an internet radio station or an mp3 playlist.

whiskeylover
January 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM
Close the lid, and change the settings so that closing the lid does not put the laptop to sleep.

Make sure you do that in reverse order.

juancarlospaco
January 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM
xset dpms force off

humphreybc
January 21st, 2010, 09:27 PM
Make sure you do that in reverse order.

Nice.