PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Toshiba installation complications

marckusa
January 21st, 2010, 08:09 PM
My brother just gave me a Toshiba Satellite of some sort. It was pretty much dead... had a missing or corrupt file System32\blah\blah\blah... something like that. He had tried the windows discs to fix it... no luck. So I'm thinking I'll put Ubuntu on it.

I've used Ubuntu solely for like 6-8 months in 2008... I liked it. Got my wireless working and stuff. I'm not a TOTAL newb... but pretty much. I like to fancy myself kinda savvy.

I pop in a 9.10 iso disc. the lappy was all finicky... would only get to the ubuntu screen sometimes... not much luck. I go into the setup and boot from cdrom... same story. I took the harddrive out and reformated it.

I can get to the first ubuntu page and choosing any option it will either tweek out on different shades of black, give me a little popup with a dumb message like "memtest" or "intall" and an OK button, or restart.

I chose "test memmory" once and it acctually worked. It failed. That was before I reformatted the harddrive. What kind of memory does it test? What does this mean? if anything. Is the lappy really dead?

I've also seen pages of (excuse my vocabulary) some kind of command prompts or scripts or something after choosing install ubuntu. but very rarely.

lappy specs are something like 2.6-3.0 ghz, 512 RAM, and it's a pentium 4.

The CD is good. I've popped it into other machines and did the test on the CD and booted from it. seems to work fine and I generally trust my burner.

I may be able to clarify some points. Any help would be appreciated.

Marcus

marckusa
January 23rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Bump.

So no ideas? I took one picture of a screen of scripty stuff... would that help? maybe I could take more... if I can get to the sceen.

Are there any other factors that should be taken into account?