PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel when you wake up?

_DeepBlue
January 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Two years ago, I remember it as if it was yesterday, after a pretty regular night at college, I woke up the next morning (at 7:00, alarm was on for 7:30) feeling more refreshed than ever before. i had slept what, 6 hours? but there it was, I felt like god, literally like god. I could fly and zap things with my fingers and all sorts of other crazy stuff.. but anyway, lets get to the point.

I don't think I am the only person experiencing this, but why oh why do I always inevitably wake up very tired in the morning? there have been (VERY FEW!) occasions in which I woke up, even without much sleep, immensely refreshed. I would like it to be that way every day.. is that possible? anyone know how to do it?

samh785
January 21st, 2010, 07:45 PM
Some days I feel tired, some days I feel refreshed. It definitely depends on the day.

pricetech
January 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
Try setting your alarm to different times or going to bed at different times to see how much sleep is optimum for you.

I used to thrive on 6 hours, but now I'm up to 8 or close to it.

How rested you feel also depends on how you slept, not just how long. I can remember a few years ago being exhausted all the time even though I was getting plenty of sleep. The problem was, I wasn't getting any rest.

lisati
January 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM
Some days I feel tired, some days I feel refreshed. It definitely depends on the day.

Same here.......

nmccrina
January 21st, 2010, 09:01 PM
Think of how much better Ubuntu would be if 90% of the users were refreshed instead of tired! :D

P.S. It's awesome anyway, though.

Lightstar
January 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Mostly refreshed for me.. sometimes tired for the first 30 minutes, once I'm up I feel good.

I have one of those alarm clocks that can be set to radio, so I wake up to music. It's set to a classical station, good way to wake up... except yesterday.
I was sleeping deeply, happy and relax, when all of a sudden the music of karmina starts blasting at me! omg! I thought it was the end of the world.

Today I feel great though, I think my optimum is about 7:30 hours.

Oh.. on average, if you look at the sleep pattern, you go through a full "set" every hour and a half. So it's a good thing to aim for 1.5 hour multiplier of sleep + 30 mins.

6 hours + 30 mins is good
7:30 hours + 30 mins is good
etc.

The 30 minutes extra is the time it takes you to fall asleep, if you only need 10 mins, then sleeping 6:10 or 7:40 *should* give you a very restful sleep. (in general)

It's hard to wake up someone that is in the deep sleep stage, but if you do wake up during that time, chances are you'll feel really tired, heavy, and maybe in a bad mood.

fatcrab
January 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM
cpap,have yourself tested,you may need one.

SuperSonic4
January 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
Tired, especially when I've got work

lisati
January 21st, 2010, 09:09 PM
I need another coffee!!!!

humphreybc
January 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM
I feel tired and crap every day I wake up. It gets better throughout the day though :)

venator260
January 21st, 2010, 09:47 PM
I feel tired for the first 30 minutes or so. I'm usually pretty good after that, regardless of the amount of sleep I have had. A short sleep catches up to me toward evening, however.

nmccrina
January 21st, 2010, 10:14 PM
I feel tired for the first 30 minutes or so. I'm usually pretty good after that, regardless of the amount of sleep I have had. A short sleep catches up to me toward evening, however.

^this

deadalus.globalnode
January 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM
Generally tired for the first 30 - 60 minutes. Unless I left a program compiling overnight. Then I normally wake up pretty refreshed.

Eisenwinter
January 21st, 2010, 10:28 PM
I can remember a few years ago being exhausted all the time even though I was getting plenty of sleep. The problem was, I wasn't getting any rest.
This is a genius statement. I sincerely thank you.

RabbitWho
January 21st, 2010, 10:32 PM
weekends refreshed.. weedays tired... 8 to 10 hours sleep regardless

caffine addiction will affect this, as well as nicotine and alcohol and generally any silly thing you put in your body.... oh and getting old.. and the amount of air that's in your room, you won't feel refreshed if there is stale air and carbon dioxide.

I had THE wierdest dream this morning... i was late for work because i had to write it down.. i'm going to make it into a youtube video

juancarlospaco
January 21st, 2010, 10:33 PM
Horny

RiceMonster
January 21st, 2010, 10:44 PM
The morning is the worst part of the day. Needless to say, I rarely feel refreshed when waking up.

PurposeOfReason
January 21st, 2010, 10:54 PM
Depends if my alarm wakes me or myself.

this is new york not l.a.
January 21st, 2010, 11:00 PM
I've had times were I've went and competed in Cross Country meets after staying up all night doing stuff then only sleeping for 2-3 hours and never felt better.

fjf314
January 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM
I almost always end up feeling tired when I wake up. My first thought is usually something along the lines of "Coffee, coffee, coffee..."

_DeepBlue
January 21st, 2010, 11:56 PM
Wow someone actually looked at my post :D

this seems to be something affecting nearly everyone.. I agree with the fact that tiredness goes away in a bit, but I never feel that incredible energy that for who knows what reason I randomly get [very rarely unfortunately..]

Also, slightly changing topic.. How often do you guys dream? Last time I had a dream was probably years ago.. kinda sad but i have no idea why :confused:

dragos240
January 22nd, 2010, 12:27 AM
It really depends. Sometimes it's tired, sometimes I feel refreshed.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
I'm always really tired when I get up. It doesn't matter how much or how little sleep I get. Actually, a few weeks ago I only got about 3 hours of sleep and I was more awake and alert that day than I have been in a very long time. I normally get about 5-6 hours of sleep on weekdays.

Mike'sHardLinux
January 22nd, 2010, 01:08 AM
For me, waking up/getting up is the worse part of my day.

samjh
January 22nd, 2010, 01:09 AM
I think it depends on my mood. If I go to sleep happy, I feel refreshed upon waking. Otherwise, I feel tired.

I could fly and zap things with my fingers and all sorts of other crazy stuff..
Were you high? ;)

Zoot7
January 22nd, 2010, 01:19 AM
It depends on how much sleep i get, if it's in excess of 8 hours I'm almost always refreshed and I'll wake up before my alarm sounds. However if it's 7/6 or under I'm always terribly tired in the morning.

Also, slightly changing topic.. How often do you guys dream? Last time I had a dream was probably years ago.. kinda sad but i have no idea why :confused:
Apparently one dreams about 5/6 times every night. I very very seldom remember mine mind you.

oldsoundguy
January 22nd, 2010, 01:25 AM

About the same here .. and it depends on the outside weather, how much crud I had to do the day before .. and how much crud is staring me in the face!

But, no matter how I feel physically, I rejoice every day.
Because my life was saved by medical science 4 times in the past 3 years. (one time I actually died in the OR.)
THAT really alters your perspective, to say the least!

red_Marvin
January 22nd, 2010, 01:31 AM
Tired, since my body seems to think that the optimal time to sleep is between about 05.00 to 15.00 or something like that ...and not much of the rest of society agrees.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 22nd, 2010, 03:08 AM
It varies, for example:

If I sleep more that 7 1/2 hours; then, I feel tired for the first 30 minutes to 1 hour.

If I get 7 1/2 hours sleep, and I know I have to tell the boss something he doesn't want to hear; then, I feel tired until I break the bad news.

If I get 7 1/2 hours sleep, and I have an interesting technical problem to solve; then, I feel invigorated.

I think that my subconscious mind may be working on the bad new for the boss or the solution to the interesting technical problem while I am asleep; thus, affecting my energy level when I wake up.

I know that the few dreams I remember suggest that this is happening.

Marvin666
January 22nd, 2010, 04:27 AM
Usually tired, but the less sleep I got, the more refreshed I feel.

JDShu
January 22nd, 2010, 04:30 AM
I don't think I've ever felt refreshed after sleeping. When I wake up and have time to keep sleeping, I just continue to sleep until I'm either too hungry to keep sleeping or I feel totally worthless.

_DeepBlue
January 22nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
I don't think I've ever felt refreshed after sleeping. When I wake up and have time to keep sleeping, I just continue to sleep until I'm either too hungry to keep sleeping or I feel totally worthless.

I can definitely relate to that

Sharmani
January 24th, 2010, 11:03 AM
On weekdays I feel tired, but on weekends I feel refreshed. It definitely depends on the day.

xpod
January 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Depends whether it`s a full moon or not....:twisted:
I actually feel great if i`ve had a decent nights/days sleep but dozing off for just an hour or so makes me feel terrible when i wake back up.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 02:30 PM
At the moment I barely manage to get out of bed. Part of the problem, a very large part, is that I am smoking again at the moment (stupid!!!). Another part is that my sleep pattern is appalling: staying up far too late, getting up far too late.

I have the same experience as the OP; very occasionally I wake up feeling completely refreshed and ready to do anything. I think that a major factor is how well I have things under control at the time. When there is nothing pending, like book keeping / tax, drumming up some work, doing the ironing or whatever, I wake up better. Moral: do things now, don't put them off :)

RichardLinx
January 24th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Usually tired. But every once in a while I feel pretty awake for no reason at all. Haven't really monitored my sleep so I can't say how many hours of sleep relate to how tired or awake I feel.

mhgsys
January 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Yep, Me 2.

It also depends on what I have to do that day,
Sometimes I just get tired even thinking of it.
lol.

spupy
January 24th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I feel sleepy, doh!

Sometimes when I wake up I feel like my eyes point in different directions. Then I need couple of moments before being able to focus my sight. Booting up, maybe?

I'm slowly slipping (sleeping?) towards Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, sleeping from 3AM to 11PM.

tuxsheadache
January 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Mixed, depending on what's happening.
I work very weird shifts, so I sleep when I can!
One trick is the 2 hours a day sleep. Your brain only needs 2 hours of deep REM sleep to be fully refreshed. One technique is to have 0.5 hours sleep every 5.5 hours.

At first it will feel horrible, but after a few weeks your body realises that every time your head hits the pillow it has to go straight into deep REM sleep, instead of spending time having none REM sleep.

This works apparently, leaving your brain fully refreshed and REMd up. However, the remains of your body (your muscles etc) need longer, so over the long term you could be damaging your body.

Swings and roundabouts huh?

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM
However, the remains of your body (your muscles etc) need longer, so over the long term you could be damaging your body.

I've heard, for instance, that various repair mechanisms only start working after about 6 hours of unbroken sleep.

Maheriano
January 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM
It's simple biochemistry, it boggles my mind that people know more about their computer/X-box/car than they do their own body. It gives you signs and symptoms, pay attention to them. This is basic high school stuff.

When you sleep, it's in stages. There are 4 stages to sleep, when you lay down and fall asleep you are in stage 1, then progress to stage 2. Then, after 2-4 hours, you slowly progress into deep sleep in stages 3 and 4, this is where your body reenergizes most efficiently. So basically if you don't sleep properly and your mattress/pillow/spouse/mind causes you to wake up at various points throughout the night, you then reset your stages. Waking up for 5 minutes and then going back to sleep means you lose at least 2 hours of sleep because it takes that long to get back into the deep sleep cycle. So get a better bed or pillow or whatever will help you stay asleep all night.

Next is the stage in which you wake up. When just falling asleep in stage 1, you don't feel tired, right? Like if you fall asleep and after 10 minutes someone makes a noise....you have to question whether you were really asleep at all. This is because most of your organs are still active and your mind hasn't really settled into deep sleep state yet. When waking up, you usually wake from stage 3/4 deep sleep and coming out of this stage to being awake is very tiring and difficult on your body. Your mind cycles through stages 3-4-3-4-3.... all night long like a sin wave pattern and if you're waking up at the height of stage 4 then you're going to feel like garbage every morning. Try setting your alarm to 30 minutes earlier/later and see if you can wake from a different level of the cycle, might make a difference. There are actually alarm clocks we looked at in university that would follow your sleep patterns and change its alarm time based on your sleep pattern....up to a certain amount of minutes of course.

I've also heard of the army only allowing their recruits to sleep for a maximum of 2 hour periods but don't know if that's true or not. They say it allowed them to wake from sleep and be more alert faster in case they needed to be ready for battle in the middle of the night. So they'd sleep for 2 hours, alarm would go off and they'd get up and take a walk around. Go back to sleep for another 2 hours, and never enter deep sleep all night.

This is simple biochemistry, it's not rocket science. How do you live your life this long and not understand how your body works? You live with it every day, you can't avoid the signs it gives you, they're right there.

Easy Limits
January 24th, 2010, 09:53 PM
If anyone has told you that you snore then you may have sleep apnia. Get a sleep study done to find out for sure. I have had a CPAP for about six months now and it has made a world of difference.

red_Marvin
January 25th, 2010, 12:50 AM
This is simple biochemistry, it's not rocket science. How do you live your life this long and not understand how your body works? You live with it every day, you can't avoid the signs it gives you, they're right there.

There is nothing simple about biochemistry. Rocket science on the other hand...
I don't know how my body works because it sends out the wrong signals half the time, so I have nothing to work with, that I can rely on.