PDA

View Full Version : firefox 3.6

ferric84
January 21st, 2010, 05:49 PM
Any word on when Firefox 3.6 will appear in Ubuntuzilla's repository?

nanotube
January 21st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Any word on when Firefox 3.6 will appear in Ubuntuzilla's repository?

it was just released today. it will appear just as soon as i package it up and push it out to the repo, which will be within the next hour or so.

nanotube
January 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM
it's up there now - just give it a few minutes to propagate through the sourceforge file release mirrors.

Objekt
January 22nd, 2010, 03:00 AM
Great! Is there anything I need to do, or will I get prompted to upgrade Firefox to 3.6?

Thanks for Ubuntuzilla by the way; it's a big help. Recently I built a machine for somebody & put Ubuntu on it. Due to various problems with more recent releases of Ubuntu, I opted for the more stable (and longer-supported) but slightly old 8.04.3 LTS. Ubuntuzilla helped me get the most current version of Firefox on that machine easily.

aysiu
January 22nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
It just showed up in the Update Manager for me. I didn't have to do anything special.

vrkalak
January 22nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
I had added the Mozilla/Firefox ppa repositories from Launchpad.net to my /etc/apt/sources.list a while back. After updating, I can install any version of Firefox via Synaptic Manager.

I have been using Firefox 3.6 since it was in Beta 4
and Firefox 3.7 since it was in pre-Alpha 1.

I just updated to the Final Release of FireFox 3.6 today.

I have found the newer versions of Firefox to be faster than Chrome browser.
Only, problems are that many of the Mozilla add-ons, themes and extensions are not compatible with 3.6 or 3.7 yet.

nanotube
January 22nd, 2010, 04:39 AM
Great! Is there anything I need to do, or will I get prompted to upgrade Firefox to 3.6?

Thanks for Ubuntuzilla by the way; it's a big help. Recently I built a machine for somebody & put Ubuntu on it. Due to various problems with more recent releases of Ubuntu, I opted for the more stable (and longer-supported) but slightly old 8.04.3 LTS. Ubuntuzilla helped me get the most current version of Firefox on that machine easily.

if you're using the ubuntuzilla repository (rather than the old installer script), then as aysiu said, it should happen automatically, as for any other package updates.

if you want to get it 'right now' you can open synaptic and hit 'reload', then the update will appear immediately.

nanotube
January 22nd, 2010, 04:41 AM
I had added the Mozilla/Firefox ppa repositories from Launchpad.net to my /etc/apt/sources.list a while back. After updating, I can install any version of Firefox via Synaptic Manager.

I have been using Firefox 3.6 since it was in Beta 4
and Firefox 3.7 since it was in pre-Alpha 1.

I just updated to the Final Release of FireFox 3.6 today.

the only problem with the nightlies is that they tend to be less stable than the official releases.

I have found the newer versions of Firefox to be faster than Chrome browser.
Only, problems are that many of the Mozilla add-ons, themes and extensions are not compatible with 3.6 or 3.7 yet.

the only addon that really matters (to me) (adblock plus) is, thankfully, compatible with ff3.6 ;)

Objekt
January 22nd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Unfortunately, things are not so simple for us 64-bit users.

nanotube
January 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM
Unfortunately, things are not so simple for us 64-bit users.

indeed, quite unfortunate. feel free to prod mozilla to produce 64bit release builds (though i'm sure they're already getting plenty of it).

in the meantime, if you're still using the ubuntuzilla script, then you have to use the old update instructions, which you can see on the ubuntuzilla website on the 'ubuntuzilla installed script' page:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ubuntuzilla/index.php?title=Ubuntuzilla_Installer_Script

or you could consider using the daily ppa, which provides 64bit builds (although it doesn't track releases, but rather the latest nightlies, so less stability).

ferric84
January 22nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
One more... after upgrading, I went to Help -> About, which reports my version as 3.6, but my UA string is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.5.3

Shouldn't that read Firefox/3.6? This might be a question for the Mozilla folks instead. I'm on 9.04.

nanotube
January 22nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
One more... after upgrading, I went to Help -> About, which reports my version as 3.6, but my UA string is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.5.3

Shouldn't that read Firefox/3.6? This might be a question for the Mozilla folks instead. I'm on 9.04.

what leads you to believe that your useragent stayed at 3.5.3? what shows up if you go to whatsmyuseragent.com ? and are you sure you're not accidentally running an old repos version? (go to whatsmyuseragent, and while there, look at help->about for the version reported there)

Uncle Spellbinder
January 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
I have the Ubuntu supplied Firefox at the moment. Ubuntuzilla repo added. Also installed SeaMonket 2.0.

Question I have is, If, using Synaptic, I install firefox-mozilla-build, will this be an additional Firefox on my system alongside the Ubuntu supplied version? If so, will there be profile issues? Plugin issues?

kansasnoob
January 23rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
I have the Ubuntu supplied Firefox at the moment. Ubuntuzilla repo added. Also installed SeaMonket 2.0.

Question I have is, If, using Synaptic, I install firefox-mozilla-build, will this be an additional Firefox on my system alongside the Ubuntu supplied version? If so, will there be profile issues? Plugin issues?

You will notice when you go to Applications > Internet that you'll have menu items for both Firefox Web Browser and Mozilla Build of Firefox but either launcher will actually launch the latest Mozilla Build of Firefox. The same is true for Seamonkey and Thunderbird.

If you'd like to clean that up you can go to System > Preferences > Main Menu and click on Internet in the left column and then remove the "tick" next to the menu entry you wish not to display.

During testing we decided to leave it this way because not everyone has the official Ubuntu build of the packages already installed.

I've had no issues whatsoever with plug-ins and the Mozilla builds of both Seamonkey and Firefox picked up my existing profiles seamlessly.

Uncle Spellbinder
January 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks, kansasnoob.

nanotube
January 24th, 2010, 12:53 AM
and just to add something to that, as far as your question about profiles goes:

it's not adviseable to switch back and forth between different versions of firefox using the same profile. so, e.g., once you start using a profile with ff3.6, don't go back to ff3.5 using that profile.