PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Known stability/security concerns in 8.04/9.10?

TopHatCat
January 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hey folks. Having a discussion on another forum about security vulnerabilities in Microsoft's OS versus Ubuntu. I'm currently using Ubuntu 8.04 and haven't had any stability or security problems so I'm wondering if there are any known issues to bring up for discussion. Trying to Google it just pointed me to a topic from this forum from 2001, so that can't still be valid. :)

cdenley
January 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hey folks. Having a discussion on another forum about security vulnerabilities in Microsoft's OS versus Ubuntu. I'm currently using Ubuntu 8.04 and haven't had any stability or security problems so I'm wondering if there are any known issues to bring up for discussion. Trying to Google it just pointed me to a topic from this forum from 2001, so that can't still be valid. :)

I know there are comparisons or studies, but they are probably all biased. I don't think there is any way to make a fair comparison, because the only problems which are a concern are the ones which haven't been discovered. You can point out the many more vulnerabilities which have been found and patched in Linux, but that doesn't necessarily mean there are more unpatched vulnerabilities in Linux, just that they are fixed more often or faster.

Sarmacid
January 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
You have to consider that if both systems have been hardened, both will be secure, and also take into account that sometimes it's easier to hack someone than to hack a computer.

lisati
January 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM
You have to consider that if both systems have been hardened, both will be secure, and also take into account that sometimes it's easier to hack someone than to hack a computer.

Social engineering?

bodhi.zazen
January 22nd, 2010, 02:55 AM
Ummm ....

see this link :

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn