PDA

View Full Version : Playing this disc prohibited by area limits?....

VcDeveloper
January 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM
I followed the installation instruction here on Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto. I used DeveDe to successfully converted .wmv to a video dvd, played well on Ubunto and Vista (didn't auto start though, had to manually play it). BUT was unsuccessful playing on my Sony dvd player.

I need to be able to play on a dvd player also. I got this message along with a irritating scrolling screen!

Playing this disc prohibited by area limits.

......Any help would be so appreciated!

Grenage
January 21st, 2010, 05:38 PM
I am guessing the image is PAL instead of NTSC, or vice versa?

garok89
January 21st, 2010, 05:54 PM
dvds are region locked
eg. USA=region 1, Europe=region 2, SE Asian=region 3, region unlocked=region 0

your dvd drive will be locked to one region and the disk another
you can change you drive region....but this can only be done something like 20 times

llawwehttam
January 21st, 2010, 05:55 PM
dvds are region locked
eg. USA=region 1, Europe=region 2, SE Asian=region 3, region unlocked=region 0

your dvd drive will be locked to one region and the disk another
you can change you drive region....but this can only be done something like 20 times

Last time I changed a drive's region it was only 3 times you could change it. I think it varied product to product though.

deadalus.globalnode
January 21st, 2010, 05:58 PM
The number of times you can change it varies from drive to drive, however 5 times max has become quite common.

VcDeveloper
January 21st, 2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help! I will make the change and re-burn the dvd.

....While I'm waiting, how do you make that change on the dvd player. Is it some where on the dvd player or remote? I would like to test the dvd I already created.

mc4man
January 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM
I would look again at post 2 before region settings, burned dvd video is not set to a region

deadalus.globalnode
January 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM
I agree. Changing the drive zone can not be undone, and is a pretty drastic measure.

mc4man
January 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM
I can virtually guarantee you that devede formated the video to pal

VcDeveloper
January 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
Yea, that's correct! DeveDe did burn it to PAL, so I'm re-burning it to NTSC. I'm new to burning dvd's, so I'm stumbling out the gate.

So, base on the replies I can't change the region from the setup menu? Because the only place I can see to change the region is in the Parent Control. I have a list on region codes here. So far I tried France 2174 and it didn't work.

mc4man
January 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM
So, base on the replies I can't change the region from the setup menu?

There is no direct relationship between a region setting of a dvd player, a region code on a disk, and the format of the video other than most R 2 disks are encoded as pal, all R 1 disks are encoded as ntsc.

Being in the us your tv is ntsc, to get a pal video to display you'd need a dvd player that can do the conversion from pal to ntsc (or a display monitor that can do both ntsc and pal with a player that can be set to either) Has nothing to do with the region setting of the dvd player and the region code, if any, of the disk.

Sometimes very cheap dvd players will do the conversion (with varying quality), and many better dvd players can also. ( most sony dvd players don't

pc monitors can display both pal and ntsc, that's why it works on your computer

VcDeveloper
January 21st, 2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me! I appreciate it!

VcDeveloper
January 21st, 2010, 10:27 PM
Again thanks for the help!...

Need help correcting the screen from scrolling during play. The menu is perfect though. What settings do I have to adjust in DeveDe?

Current Settings:
Original Size (pixels): 320x240
Final Size (pixels): 720x576 <------?
Outout aspect ratio: 4:3

FPS: 25(PAL) <--------------?
Video Rate (Kb/:Sec): 1575
Audio Rate (Kb/sec):224
Size of Chapter: 5

VcDeveloper
January 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM
I think I found it! My individual file (PAL) setting are not matching the main (NTSC) settings....

VcDeveloper
January 21st, 2010, 10:45 PM
Also, I can I get this to auto run in any Windows flavor or any computer that plays dvd's. It works in Unbunto fine and I'm guessing it should work on any Linux OS right? The auto run.

VcDeveloper
January 22nd, 2010, 12:40 AM
I think I found it! My individual file (PAL) setting are not matching the main (NTSC) settings....

Yea, that was it! Working perfectly now, just need to find out what setting I need to "auto run" on any computer beside Linux....