PDA

View Full Version : Open-PC Desktop Uses Only Hardware That Features Free Software Drivers

Groucho Marxist
January 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM
I was reading /. (http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/01/20/0020246/100-Free-Software-Compatible-PC-Launches) today and came across an interesting link regarding the "Open-PC." According to the article's summary, "The mini-ITX desktop machine is energy efficient, consumer ready, easy to upgrade, and significantly uses only hardware that has free software drivers available." (Italics appeared in the original statement).

For interested parties, here's a link to Open-PC (http://open-pc.com/static/open-pc/open-pc1-specifications.php) :)

Malakai
January 21st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Its not really a desktop with an atom cpu (same cpu my 1000he has, 1.6ghz atom n280) and intel integrated graphics. It has the hardware of a netbook.

Now a Phenom II X4, thats a desktop cpu hehe.

hessiess
January 21st, 2010, 06:26 PM
If it uses an atom CPU, it is NOT open hardware.

In fact there is nothing open about that computers hardware.

Building a computer which can be run using open drivers is not difficult if you do some research beforehand, though you will end up with below-par hardware, esp in the graphics department.

llawwehttam
January 21st, 2010, 06:36 PM
Its not really a desktop with an atom cpu (same cpu my 1000he has, 1.6ghz atom n280) and intel integrated graphics. It has the hardware of a netbook.

Thanks for the compliment. Although my Phenom II x4 is only 3.2 GHz. I presume yours is overclocked. Ram wise I may win with 4Gb Reaper DDR3.

cammin
January 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM

Unlike your netbook, the atom 330 is a dual core, 64 bit processor, and the motherboard allows up to 4GB of ram instead of 2.