PDA

View Full Version : Open-PC Desktop Uses Only Hardware That Features Free Software Drivers

Groucho Marxist
January 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM
I was reading /. (http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/01/20/0020246/100-Free-Software-Compatible-PC-Launches) today and came across an interesting link regarding the "Open-PC." According to the article's summary, "The mini-ITX desktop machine is energy efficient, consumer ready, easy to upgrade, and — significantly — uses only hardware that has free software drivers available." (Italics appeared in the original statement).

For interested parties, here's a link to Open-PC (http://open-pc.com/static/open-pc/open-pc1-specifications.php) :)

Malakai
January 21st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Its not really a desktop with an atom cpu (same cpu my 1000he has, 1.6ghz atom n280) and intel integrated graphics. It has the hardware of a netbook.

Now a Phenom II X4, thats a desktop cpu hehe.

hessiess
January 21st, 2010, 06:26 PM
If it uses an atom CPU, it is NOT open hardware.

In fact there is nothing open about that computers hardware.

Building a computer which can be run using open drivers is not difficult if you do some research beforehand, though you will end up with below-par hardware, esp in the graphics department.

llawwehttam
January 21st, 2010, 06:36 PM
Its not really a desktop with an atom cpu (same cpu my 1000he has, 1.6ghz atom n280) and intel integrated graphics. It has the hardware of a netbook.

Thanks for the compliment. Although my Phenom II x4 is only 3.2 GHz. I presume yours is overclocked. Ram wise I may win with 4Gb Reaper DDR3.

cammin
January 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM

Unlike your netbook, the atom 330 is a dual core, 64 bit processor, and the motherboard allows up to 4GB of ram instead of 2.