PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Desktop Effects Cannot be enabled

Tribulation
January 21st, 2010, 05:17 PM
I just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 and whenever I attempt to enable desktop effects I am informed that they can't be enabled. I have no idea why they can't be, they've worked just fine ever since 8.10 for me.

MelDJ
January 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM
what graphic card are you using?

Tribulation
January 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Ati hd 4850

And now I'm having another problem. I restarted Ubuntu and was informed that it was running in low graphics mode. I got the errors:

(EE) Unable to initialize PCS database
(EE) Missing PCS defaults file /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default
(EE) No devices detected

MelDJ
January 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM
are the drivers activated in system-admin-hardware drivers?
if they aren't, get them from the ati site and install

Tribulation
January 21st, 2010, 05:45 PM
Yeah they are activated. I even installed the latest drivers from ati's site in case that was the problem.

chrisinspace
January 21st, 2010, 05:46 PM
Actually the Hardware Drivers utility should be able to pull the ATI driver down for you and activate it. After that, just restart X and you should be good to go.

chrisinspace
January 21st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah they are activated. I even installed the latest drivers from ati's site in case that was the problem.

Hmmm...maybe try to uninstall compiz and then reinstall it. I have had to do this in the past. The cleanest method would probably be to use Synaptic to "completely uninstall". This removes all of the associated config files as well.

Tribulation
January 21st, 2010, 05:54 PM
Well I completely removed and then re-installed compiz but I still can't enable desktop effects. I didn't restart after removing or installing, so I don't know if that would be a problem.