PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Ubuntu Studio Upgrade from Ubuntu Karmic

EnergyEruption
January 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone,

I had v. 9.10 of Ubuntu installed, and tried to upgrade to Ubuntu studio, by typing
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video linux-rt

in the terminal. When I tried to run the JACK Control Panel, I then noticed that the real time kernel wasn't working, so I typed

uname -a

into the terminal, which came up with

Linux energyeruption-laptop 2.6.31-17-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 10 16:20:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

which I think means that the real time kernel isn't installed. So, I downloaded the linux-rt_2.6.31.9.10_i386.deb package (the real time kernel installation package), and when I tried to install it, it said that it's already installed!

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys and girls, and sorry for the length of this.

EnergyEruption

snowpine
January 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hi everyone,

I had v. 9.10 of Ubuntu installed, and tried to upgrade to Ubuntu studio, by typing
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video linux-rt

in the terminal. When I tried to run the JACK Control Panel, I then noticed that the real time kernel wasn't working, so I typed

uname -a

into the terminal, which came up with

Linux energyeruption-laptop 2.6.31-17-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 10 16:20:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

which I think means that the real time kernel isn't installed. So, I downloaded the linux-rt_2.6.31.9.10_i386.deb package (the real time kernel installation package), and when I tried to install it, it said that it's already installed!

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys and girls, and sorry for the length of this.

EnergyEruption

Reboot and choose the new linux-rt kernel from GRUB.

EnergyEruption
January 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Nice one snowpine, that worked perfectly, thanks for that.

I didn't know I could choose between the 2 kernels. Next time I start the computer, will it be on the real time kernel or the generic one? In other words, do I have to keep choosing the real time kernel, or does grub remember my last choice?

EnergyEruption

snowpine
January 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM
Assuming you're using the new Grub 2, you should be able to figure out how to set the default boot option with these directions:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2