PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch Fringe?

mamamia88
January 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM
I was watching it on blu ray the other day, and on this one episode this guy killed people with a computer virus that basically hypnotized people until their brains melted. Kind of makes you paranoid huh

Странник
January 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM
I really liked that episode =)

whiskeylover
January 21st, 2010, 03:21 PM
Is there source code available for that?

gnomeuser
January 21st, 2010, 03:34 PM
I tried watching the pilot but about 20 mins in the sheer amount of pseudo scientific bull droppings turned me off. It just seemed so cheap and gimmicky

aaaantoine
January 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
No. Nobody watches Fringe.

Alternatively, everybody watches Fringe. But, since I do not, then nobody watches Fringe.

I only see the world in binary. It makes for an interesting time at the few parties I'm ever invited to.

(I'm going to stumble across this post in a year and wonder what the hell I was smoking...)

LowSky
January 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM
I only see the world in binary. It makes for an interesting time at the few parties I'm ever invited to.

So in your world you're invited to every party?

Tristam Green
January 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM
I watch it when I can. I'm a big fan of John Noble.

aaaantoine
January 21st, 2010, 04:17 PM
So in your world you're invited to every party?

Uh... Uh... Does not compute!

Chronon
January 21st, 2010, 09:40 PM
It's basically X-Files redux. It's not bad, but some of the scientific blunders do make me cringe. The "macro-virus" episode really made me cringe. A virus is a protein shell containing a packet of DNA or RNA. It has no mobile appendages and does not mechanically react to its environment. They could have just called it a macro-bacterium. It would have cost them nothing and would have been far, far more plausible. (This is high school biology!)

tuddy666
January 21st, 2010, 09:47 PM
While I've never even heard of Fringe, I do like it when TV show writers pretend they know something about computers. Hilarity will always ensue.

alphaniner
January 21st, 2010, 10:08 PM
I watch it when I can. I'm a big fan of John Noble.

I wasn't familiar with him before Fringe, but I'm a fan now. His character is the main reason I keep watching the show.

n0dix
January 22nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
I wasn't familiar with him before Fringe, but I'm a fan now. His character is the main reason I keep watching the show.

Well, this guy is the spine of the show.

Khakilang
January 22nd, 2010, 08:07 AM
I was watching it on blu ray the other day, and on this one episode this guy killed people with a computer virus that basically hypnotized people until their brains melted. Kind of makes you paranoid huh

My brain melt just by watching it. Duh????

lisati
January 22nd, 2010, 08:21 AM
What's wrong with the occasional bout of techno babble (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TechnoBabble) or pseudo science?

Giant Speck
January 22nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
While I've never even heard of Fringe, I do like it when TV show writers pretend they know something about computers. Hilarity will always ensue.

I have learned the following things about computers from television and movies:

1. Any image can be enhanced to find minute details and clues.
2. Windows is either a minority operating system or simply does not exist.
3. Any computer can be hacked into by bringing up a command prompt and wildly typing commands.
4. You can track killers using a GUI interface created with Virtual Basic.
5. IRC is where hackers talk without being overheard.
6. Every building on the face of the planet has 3D wireframe schematics that can be accessed by any computer.
7. Every piece of information you need is accessible from the very first Google result.
8. Any piece of hardware can be hacked into using a portable handheld and a cord of some sort, or even better, wirelessly.
9. Password or code decryption works one character at a time.
10. The space bar is completely useless.

Tristam Green
January 22nd, 2010, 02:51 PM

Unless you were living under a rock in the early 00's, this might ring a bell:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Denethor.JPG

John Noble portrayed Denethor, son of Ecthelion, in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.