PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Theme Creator

dilomo
January 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Would you like to have such a program? Would you use it? Would you use it if it's payed (~$1-$2) or only of it's free?

A mockup is attached.

This is example of what would a theme creator look like. The basic principles are these:

1. You edit(create) a svg template (much like the single canvas workflow for icons in Breath) that contains all images needed for a theme.

2. You set up some more options of the theme.

3. Export as pixbuf theme (or css in the future)

What do you think? Is this worth implementing? It is possible to do it right now but I need a wider discussion about it beforehand.

nilarimogard
January 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM
I would definitely use it, but wouldn't pay for it. I got used to not paying since I left Windows. Also, it would be nice if it was open source too.

spupy
January 21st, 2010, 12:55 PM
This will work for the base stuff, like fonts, sizes and colors. Unfortunately, the finer details of a theme are dependent on the theme engine. Each theme engine (clearlook, aruro, murrine, etc) may have it's own options, which are incompatible and not present in other engines. For example, the murrine engine has its own configurator, but it doesn't work for other themes.

dj mbuso
January 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM
I will prefer to test it first

Giant Speck
January 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM
The only way I can see this working would be for a solely pixmap theme, and even then, it would be extremely complicated to use because there are so many different pixmaps you have to make.

pwnst*r
January 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
I would definitely use it, but wouldn't pay for it. I got used to not paying since I left Windows. Also, it would be nice if it was open source too.

Come ON, it's $1 or $2 bucks. How cheap can you be?

Giant Speck
January 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Come ON, it's $1 or $2 bucks. How cheap can you be?
Being forced to pay for software is a human rights violation.

dilomo
January 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
The only way I can see this working would be for a solely pixmap theme, and even then, it would be extremely complicated to use because there are so many different pixmaps you have to make.

It is exclusively for pixbuf theme engine because it uses svg template with lots of images. In the future it will support exporting as css theme as long as the development (http://ankere.wordpress.com/2009/12/17/css-theme-engine-work-terminated/) continues. Moreover I can't see why ppl don't like pixbif. It is as fast as others (but compared to the eyecandy you get from aurora for example not mist)

I have seen such a template and even worked on it and I can confirm it is not so complicated plus all your gradients and shapes are usable by all widgets. It is also possible to define borders in the svg so the only thing a theme designer should do is make beautiful template - and export it to theme via the program.

pwnst*r
January 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM

Oh, you had to go there, didn't you?

Queue29
January 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM

..because?

So you think the developer who puts in 100 hours to make this app deserves to die? And his family to go into poverty?

If anything, not paying for software is a human rights violation.

pwnst*r
January 21st, 2010, 03:19 PM
..because?

So you think the developer who puts in 100 hours to make this app deserves to die? And his family to go into poverty?

http://i47.tinypic.com/21ai7vl.gif

Giant Speck
January 21st, 2010, 03:32 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/21ai7vl.gif

As soon as I saw the post you quoted, I immediately thought of what picture you were going to post in response.

I was expecting a different picture, though. :(

k64
January 21st, 2010, 04:26 PM
Where's the "don't know what it is" option?

pwnst*r
January 21st, 2010, 04:30 PM
As soon as I saw the post you quoted, I immediately thought of what picture you were going to post in response.

I was expecting a different picture, though. :(

I figured you would have been bored of that one. But it's funny how many still never got it.

dilomo
January 21st, 2010, 04:37 PM
Where's the "don't know what it is" option?

In that case you ask as you did :)

This is a program that will allow designers to make Gnome themes right into the vector editor (a.k.a Inkscape) they are familiar with and let the program convert their work into a theme that meets the requirements for themeing and is proven to work on all Gnome desktops. Right now they have to learn a lot of usless details about the internals of GTK widgets and the way they work and write ~ 5000 lines of code in order to get this working right for all apps.

So in in two words this app is : BIG relief that lets you put more time into designing themes rather than coding them to work.

Queue29
January 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM
ines of code in order to get this working right for all apps.

So in in two words this app is : BIG relief that lets you put more time into designing themes rather than coding them to work.

But God forbid the developers get compensated for their efforts, amiright, Giant Speck?

Jameshardy88
January 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
I would love to see this come to fruition. I already make pixmap themes quite frequently but am FAR from an expert, even the reasonably minimal knowledge i have required over my time creating themes has been hard to come by, time consuming and largely gleaned through trial and error. I feel an app like this would attract a great deal more themers that at current lack the considerable time and or motivation to give it a go. Even for myself personally, this would probably save me considerable time and effort in creating future themes. I strongly urge you to give creating this some serious thought. I have no doubt that a well crafted app would drastically improve not only the quantity of themes available but also with time the quality as well. Particularly if this a free/cheap app as proposed.

dilomo
January 23rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback Jameshardy88! I will have some more research and talks with some pro gtk developers to see if there is something that would stop the project and if there is nothing I think that the chances to get this done are ~80%.

If there is something like that released you will hear about it ;)

tuahaa
January 23rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
..because?

Well duh. Die of starvation, I say- as long as I don't have to pay a dollar for someone else's sweat and blood:twisted:

chris4585
January 23rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
I would go for like $1 - $5 if and only if it was great, but I think a donate button would be better suited maybe

mmachado
February 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM
..because?

I agree.

MasterNetra
February 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM
This will work for the base stuff, like fonts, sizes and colors. Unfortunately, the finer details of a theme are dependent on the theme engine. Each theme engine (clearlook, aruro, murrine, etc) may have it's own options, which are incompatible and not present in other engines. For example, the murrine engine has its own configurator, but it doesn't work for other themes.

Prehaps the themer could have theme engine plugins? Perhaps default to Murrine or something. The Theme Engine plugin would determine what your editing options are. Have in the plugin a list of options and the themer could have them all and just enable them based on what Theme Engine Plugin is in use.
Just my 2 cents.

D_E_H0987
November 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Would you like to have such a program? Would you use it? Would you use it if it's payed (~$1-$2) or only of it's free?

A mockup is attached.

This is example of what would a theme creator look like. The basic principles are these:

1. You edit(create) a svg template (much like the single canvas workflow for icons in Breath) that contains all images needed for a theme.

2. You set up some more options of the theme.

3. Export as pixbuf theme (or css in the future)

What do you think? Is this worth implementing? It is possible to do it right now but I need a wider discussion about it beforehand.

I have been looking for something like this since installing Ubuntu.
I would love to see all sorts of options.
Things like maybe setting the sidebar to two icons wide so you don't have to scroll up and down so much.
Maybe options for rearranging the dash.
Text window background colors.
Editing cursors,icons, etc.
Positioning the side bar(s).
multiple side bars.
Nested or Menu'ed side bars(you click a button on the side bar and a bar slides out with programs you don't use much, or for different types of work, etc.)

As to making money, you could do something like have the main basic APP GPL and sell cheap plugin APPlets to add features, that way you have the best of both worlds free software which everyone loves and you can make money too.
And of course you have the big corporate users pay for the whole kit and caboodle. Or there is always the big way to make money make it all GPL but make people sit threw advertising to get to a download link.

Anyway a few ideas, I hope you get this critter made.

Thanks in advance.

nothingspecial
November 13th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Please don't bump very old threads to the top.

Closed.