PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to use Cheese with Pidgin or Empathy for yahoo webcam

zappal
January 21st, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hi ya'll this is driving me crazy I've searched everywhere.

I cant find anywhere that explains how to use Cheese with Pidgin.

I have Cheese installed and it works.
I launch it after I open Pidgin, but i have no idea what to do to actually to show it thru Pidgin.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

FYI, I can't get Gyachi or Kopete to log me in, it keeps rejecting my yahoo password.
this is another issue to solve

zappal
January 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM
anyone?

luctor
March 29th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Cheese doesn't integrate with Pidgin or Empathy .. AFAIK

bikeboy
March 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I think luctor is right. However to try your webcam with Pidgin, press Ctrl + U in Pidgin and enable the Voice/Video Settings plugin. From there, click configure on the plugin and tell it about your webcam.

no2498
March 31st, 2010, 07:54 PM
does he need flash player for yahoo ?

Gunman1982
March 31st, 2010, 11:31 PM
Since cheese has nothing to do with pidgin and pidgin just supports video for jabber/gmail you better look into the problems with kopete.

At least it seems that kopete supports video for yahoo. What problem do you run into when you try to log in with kopete?

chitowner2
October 16th, 2010, 10:17 PM
OK, I just got a Logitech C510 webcam. Plugged in the USB and can see video and adjust config in kopete.

Big deal... So how do I enable 'buddies' to connect via webcam?

Is it supposed to "just work"? Or is there some toggle to set somewhere? Maybe this has to be set separately in Yahoo or AIM account???

Specifically, my kopete does not have a "send webcam" option on the file menu.

Sorry if I'm such a noob at this- but I've run down a bunch of forum chats and while some say it does work none of them describe how to actually make it usable!

Many folks say to get gyachi, but it does not seem to be in the repos for lucid.
I'm using lucid/kde 4.4.2/kopete 1.0, amd64.

Thanks,
CT