PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Won't finish install 9.04/9.10

powx
January 21st, 2010, 07:57 AM
I checked quite a few threads before posting, most can get into Ubuntu I can't.

I have installed 9.04 and upgraded to 9.10 on one of my PC's. I am trying to upgrade my next PC, installing inside of windows just like the first. I have the CD made for BOTH versions.

On a fresh install from Ubuntu 9.04 it will install inside windows, then asks to reboot. Upon reboot, it gets to where the log in would be to complete the install, but the screen goes funky will lines all over the place (showing some type of video card problem or conflict?) Tried un-installing and re-installing a couple times, ends up with the same verdict. Also checked the driver for the Radeon HD 3650 and it is current ) installed inside Windows XP home ed.

Next I tried the Ubuntu 9.10 Disk - Seems to install fine inside of windows, asks to re-boot. Upon reboot while loading it gets the Ubuntu logo, the screen flashes then turns the PC off. Won't load anymore.

The only difference between the two PC's is the video card.

Any help would be appriciated.

powx
January 21st, 2010, 06:28 PM
Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

stim
January 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
If you suspect video card issue, try installing 8.04 and see if you can get in from there. HOWEVER, I might add, that installing from WITHIN windows is not something I have had success with. I would do a non-wubi install and install ubuntu from the installer on the cd image.

powx
January 21st, 2010, 07:06 PM
Yea I actually would like to install out side of windows, but did not leave a partition to do that so would have to reformat ( which I may do soon anyway ) The main thing holding me up from switching all 3 of my PC's over is our magic jack...still no Linux support so I need to get at least 1 system running windows so we have a home phone.

Just debating if I am going to get the same issue with a reformat and fresh install, would really suck if I go through all that just to get the same problem and not have it install for me.