PDA

View Full Version : How much memory does or DE or WM use?

stars
January 21st, 2010, 05:57 AM
Please post your desktop environment and/or window manager's memory usage once it's loaded without other applications running. Thanks.

DE: Gnome
RAM: 92MB

Icehuck
January 21st, 2010, 06:22 AM
Please post your desktop environment and/or window manager's memory usage once it's loaded without other applications running. Thanks.

DE: Gnome
RAM: 92MB

Question is, can you get gnome down to 50 mb or less?

doorknob60
January 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM
I technically have 311 MB used right now, but that's the kernel making it useful (not sure how, but I know all my apps running is not much at all, I use Openbox) since I have 4 GB of RAM. My actual WM is using 1.1 MB of RAM, which is technically what you asked :P If you add Pcmanfm and Lxpanel total Lxtask says the three combines is about 9 MB. Those are the only programs running always.

markp1989
January 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM
well my desktop (xmonad) is using 65mb of ram at cold boot according to free -m, i dont know how much of that is being used xmonad thou

WM: xmonad
programs: xsetroot to set the cursor , setxkbmap to set the keymap, and feh to draw the wallpaper, lxterminal

Techsnap
January 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM
Question is, can you get gnome down to 50 mb or less?

Yep the OP should try it. I have managed to do it.

stars
January 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM
Techsnap, thanks for confirming Icehuck's ideal of using 50MB. What did you do to achieve that? I'm still new to gnome since I've always used mostly cli or box wm's in the past. So far, I've used sysv-rc-conf and removed most startup applications. What steps did you take to achieve 50MB?

Techsnap
January 21st, 2010, 01:38 PM
Well the end result isn't particularly that nice considering you have to disable GTK themes and uninstall Nautilus. I can't recall exactly what I did but I'll give it a go again this weekend perhaps.

hoppipolla
January 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
KDE 4
50 megabytes? :D

... they suspected nothing O.O

stars
January 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
Techsnap, if you find the time to do that it would be great. Box wm's really spoil a user I think since they're so light and easy to configure. I thought it would be fun to try a de for a change.

hoppipolla, haven't tried kde in ages, though many seem to like.

Techsnap
January 21st, 2010, 02:14 PM
hoppipolla: I use KDE all the time, I have used KDE for 8 solid years on Linux but I've never got KDE 4 running in 50MB RAM, it's usually between 95 & 130MB.

stars: Yeah I'll post here when I do.

K.Mandla
January 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM
Musca and Xorg 7.3 will run in much less than 12Mb, before you start up a few windows.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/09/02/unsolved-mysteries-x-in-1mb/

Awesome and other tiling WMs take up tiny slivers of space. Screen and htop alone show memory use of around 9Mb total in use, in Debian.

squilookle
January 21st, 2010, 08:58 PM
I'm using Gnome:
Before starting X/Gnome I'm usually on about 17mb, with Gnome but nothing else started, its between 130 - 150mb.

hoppipolla
January 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
hoppipolla: I use KDE all the time, I have used KDE for 8 solid years on Linux but I've never got KDE 4 running in 50MB RAM, it's usually between 95 & 130MB.

stars: Yeah I'll post here when I do.

hehe there is a CHANCE I may have made up that low memory usage! :D

I think my PC is actually sitting on rather high memory use at the moment but then I do have a lot open O.O

... across 6 desktops o.O