PDA

View Full Version : Do you work with emacs ?

frenchn00b
January 21st, 2010, 03:31 AM
Emacs for X or Emacs for console (no X) is a very developed and advanced application for coding, txt, ... and many more.

It is quite difficult to learn it.

Some of you are using it?

You like emacs?

chris200x9
January 21st, 2010, 03:33 AM
I use it in console, but I do not use advanced features mainly type

Icehuck
January 21st, 2010, 03:37 AM
MicroEMACS is rather nice, not that GNU crud.

I have a feeling a war will start here.

JDShu
January 21st, 2010, 03:50 AM
My school made me learn it, so I use it out of habit.

RiceMonster
January 21st, 2010, 04:08 AM
I tried to learn it once. I was using the X version, and I noticed you could play tetris, so I thought "screw this, I`m playing tetris".

unknownPoster
January 21st, 2010, 04:08 AM
I use it to experiment with Lisp and SLIME.

matthew.ball
January 21st, 2010, 04:17 AM
I think emacs is awesome!

Though, I'm still fairly new to using emacs (I have been using emacs -nox for a good 6-8 months now). I'm learning new things every day with emacs. It's the best!

juancarlospaco
January 21st, 2010, 04:30 AM
I use my own text editor (http://www.tecnicoslinux.com.ar/livecd/edipy_1_all.deb).

Frak
January 21st, 2010, 04:37 AM
I tried to learn it once. I was using the X version, and I noticed you could play tetris, so I thought "screw this, I`m playing tetris".
Hahaha

I use MicroEmacs, because, and I'm sorry to all those who worked on it, GNUEmacs is a pile of crap.

Daisuke_Aramaki
January 21st, 2010, 04:39 AM
Agree with icehuck. Microemacs is great, and its my editor of choice on windows.

i predominantly use vim for most text editing work, but i am more comfortable using emacs for latex, with auctex.

Cuddles McKitten
January 21st, 2010, 04:45 AM
Why would I use emacs when I have the overwhelmingly superior vim installed?

k64
January 21st, 2010, 04:48 AM
Emacs is showing its age. Me? I prefer GEdit and Kate.

Frak
January 21st, 2010, 05:03 AM
I'm with this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVTWCPoUt8w#t=55m0s

MaxIBoy
January 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM
For text-only situations (for example, working on code via SSH at latencies too great for X11 forwarding to be practical,) I use either Emacs or Nano. Nano is good if you just want to make a 1-line change and exit, Emacs is good if you want to keep something running for a longer programming session.

In a graphical environment I prefer Gedit (with all the fancy plugins, of course.)

lostinxlation
January 21st, 2010, 05:22 AM
For text editting, I only use vi or vim.
I only used Emacs to read/write Newsgroup and emails many years ago.

jpkotta
January 22nd, 2010, 05:35 AM
I use GNU Emacs. I'd agree that by default it sucks, but that's not the point. I think Ubuntu sucks by default too, because I don't like Gnome and Kubuntu is never quite as polished. But I can install the packages I do like, because Ubuntu is a great platform. Such is (GNU) Emacs. The worst part about it is that the barrier to changing it is so low that I do it all the time.

I just tried out Microemacs (git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/editors/uemacs/uemacs.git), and I didn't like it. What's the advantage over, say, jmacs (joe) or jove?

n0dix
January 22nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
I use emacs since 1 year ago. It have pros and cons but still is my editor to programming.

ad_267
January 22nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
I've never used Emacs. Vim works great for me.

Mornedhel
January 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
I'm an Emacs user all the way. I was converted to Emacs the day I discovered tramp mode to edit files through SSH, sudo, etc.

I use it for auctex, EMMS (with MPD), Wanderlust (mail client), org-mode, sometimes even to edit text, and as my main IDE (support for dozens of languages, support for several version control systems, context-aware variable completion, the Great Unified Debugger, etc.).

Does MicroEmacs support elisp ? Most of those Emacs lightweight clones only clone the key bindings and forfeit all the extensibility.

iponeverything
January 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
I love emacs. It is the only editor I use.

There is practically nothing that can be done in a terminal or to a text file, that emacs does not have a mode for!

r
s o r
c c e o
a k k c
m s i k
e l y

I typed that by going into picture mode using the arrows to place the cursor doing a ctrl-c ' write north east and ctrl-c \ to write south west. :) geeky.. ok -- but little emacs-fu goes a long way.

Tibuda
January 22nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
Vim for me. I don't really need another operational system.