PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very New to Ubuntu-"Cube Effect" Question

Twizzler999
January 20th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Hello Everyone- I am very new to both this forum and Ubuntu. I am trying to enable the "Cube Effect" on my desktop. I have read the FAQ about enabaling the cube effect in the Desktop Enviorment Forum. It says "How can I get the "cube" effect? - overdrank (Image) First, install compizconfig-settings-manager. Then, in System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings, go to General Options, Desktop Size tab, and make sure Horizontal Virtual Size is set to 4. Go back to the main window, and enable the Desktop Cube and Rotate Cube plugins. You can "spin" the cube by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Left and Ctrl+Alt+Right, or hold Ctrl+Alt and click and drag." I have installed compizconfig and went to System>Preferences> But I have no "Advanced desktop Effects Settings" heading under System>Preferences. I made sure compizconfig was enabled by going to System>Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects and made sure "Extra" was checked. Any help you can provide with getting the cube effect working would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

howefield
January 20th, 2010, 11:03 PM
...But I have no Advanced Desktop Effects Settings heading under System > Preferences.

Look for System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager.

Do you have that option, if so then follow the rest of the tutorial.

JiuJitsu500
January 20th, 2010, 11:14 PM
edit....

just fully read the post.... do what the guy above me said.... compizconfig settings :) then its easy if u have that :)
most of the time anyway...

Twizzler999
January 21st, 2010, 01:28 AM
Thanks Howefield and Jui Jitsu500. Ok, I figured out how to adjust the horizontal setting and followed the rest of the instructions without issue. I am able to use CTRL ALT Left and right to spin the cube but the overall desktop still looks the same. I use one of the standard desktop images as my desktop image. Can you tell me how I can get the desktop to look like the image I have attached? Thanks in advance for your time and help guys....It is much appreciated.

howefield
January 21st, 2010, 01:36 AM
The image is kind of small to see what it is you want.

If you want transparent cube, open CompizCconfig Settings Manager, and click on Desktop cube, then the Transparent Cube tab, and move the sliders as required.

Twizzler999
January 21st, 2010, 04:33 AM
Hi Howefield- Thanks again for your reply- I followed your instructions and it got me a lttle closer to what I am trying to achieve. Let me see if I can explain this. I have included a screenshot of my desktop and also a larger picture of what I am trying to get my desktop to look like. When I look at a picture of the cube effect I see a cube that is not the full size of the desktop. Rather it is a cube within the desktop and there is space outside of the cube. My desktop has faint edgesof a cube and it takes up my entire desktop. I have gone through a bunch of the settings in compizconfig and I can't seem to get this looking the way I want. I hope this makes sense. I am just trying to get a clear cube image on the desktop.Is there a user guide or help manual for compizconfig? I couldn't seem to find one. Any further help you can provide is much appreciated.

twister03
January 21st, 2010, 04:52 AM
Go to CompizConfig Settings Manager > click Desktop > check Rotate Cube. After that click Rotate cube to go into it's options and click the bindings tab. Click the down arrow on Rotate cube to look at the key bindings. It should be <Control> <Alt> Button1 by default. You may also click the scroll wheel on desktop (at least for me) to initiate the cube rotation.

Hope this solves your problem.