PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Taskbar buttons and Titlebar missing & more

sesemin
January 20th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I did a fresh xubuntu 9.10 install with no errors. I have following issues:

- Application Buttons in Task disappear after the program (any program) launches
- Program Titlebars are missing with minimize-maximize-close buttons
- Alt-Tab does not switch between programs
- The program window on top is not the active one and I can not activate it by clicking on it
- I can not switch between desktops by clicking the lower right corner buttons.
- Clicking Minimize All button in the lower left corner does not minimize the windows

Problems still exist after updating and upgrading. Previous install of the same version (same CD) on the same Laptop did not have any of these issues!

I do not get any error messages so I don't know where to start looking.

Thanx

weatherhelm
January 23rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
I am having a similar issue with my program windows not quite displaying correctly. No minimize or maximize buttons etc. Just installed 9.1 and new to ubuntu in general.

Bill Melater
January 31st, 2010, 02:09 AM
Just installed it myself, as I have an XP box that had an authorized copy have a hd failure, and Microsoft won't reactivate it, because nobody can tell me what version (OEM, etc was originally installed even though I have a COA), but that's a longer story.

I was poking around a little and decided to try something. In terminal window, type: sudo xfwm4. That made the title bar reappear and other problems go away.

Stone2065
February 1st, 2010, 10:52 PM
That just tells me that "another desktop enviroment is running" or some such... I'm booting and trying it again...

Stone2065
February 1st, 2010, 11:20 PM
No luck... back to looking for another OS. The computer I'm working on is a bit old... P3, 933mhz, 384mb RAM, and a Dell, that only recognizes 120(ish) gig of HD space, so my 500gig HD had to be partitioned to even try installing anything on it with this system. If anyone has any ideas for either fixing this install (which would be fine, and quicker than downloading/burning a CD, installing, etc. and blowing ANOTHER whole day) or a good OS for this set of hardware, feel free to contact me via PM or on here. I'll keep an eye out on here.

Stone

CeliaW
February 3rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Same has happened to me but only since I did the last update through update manager. I can now only close a window or minimise/ maximise or move or resize it by going to the icon on the Taskbar or the icons on AWN.

Same happens in aMSN and in the actual Open Office programme but not in the individual documents... weird...

Have tried everything I can think of - any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

Celia

Karmic Koala user....