PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu newbie first install problem

rixdafix
January 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I searched the forums and couldn't find a similar problem so here goes.
My names Rick and I am very interested in ditching MS for a Linux system.

I burnt the Ubuntu 9.10 ISO to CD and installed on a freshly nuked Dell 2350.
It is pentium 4 at 1.8 MHZ with 512 RAM. Just a spare machine I have sitting there.

Install went fine, restarted box, boot from hard drive.

I get the little white Ubuntu symbol on a black screen and then a black screen with un-occupied white tool bars at top and bottom of screen and a functional mouse pointer, then nothing. It freezes there.

If I restart by holding the power switch in it occasionally shows multiple CPU overtemp messages and freezes with totally black screen.

I can run the CD live and everything works like a champ. I'm going to like Ubuntu once I have this sorted out.

If I boot from CD and choose the run from first hard drive option, everything loads and works fine. I was able to remove CD, update and save preferences, etc..

On one occasion, I was able to restart and boot from hard drive and it worked fine but usually it freezes at previously mentioned black screen with white bars top and bottom with mouse pointer.

Please excuse my ignorance as I have very little knowledge of the inside workings of computers. I didn't even know about burning ISO's or changing boot orders until reading online.

For what it's worth, the computer worked fine with no known hardware problems when it was running XP. It also is completely stock with no mods or added/replaced hardware.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rick.

Crap, sorry I didn't notice there was a dedicated Dell forum. Ugh newbies

PartsMan
January 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I hate to tell you but our on board intel graphics have trouble in 9.10.
My 2350 will run 8.04 fine.

I have a cheap video card coming in today I will tell you how it works out.

Sylslay
January 20th, 2010, 09:05 PM
tray 9.04 beafore old 8.04 is an option (loads diffrence in gnome , GUI),
but on this old p4 8.04 will have better perfomance on youtube movies,
in 9,04 are bit choppy, I am not use 8.04 becouse 9.04 got better setup for 3g networks. bui if you use only local wifi , go for 8.04,and change at summer for 10.04

rixdafix
January 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM
Junked 9.10 for now, downloaded and did problem free install of 8.04.
Thanks for suggestions folks.

PartsMan
January 21st, 2010, 07:38 PM
Good. Not a lot of bugs left in hardy.:)